1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BEST Audio Ripping software EVER! Perfect audio copy - NO LOSS IN QUALITY!

Discussion in 'Audio' started by derodra, Nov 28, 2003.

1. derodra

derodra Member

This question may have been bugging several members for a while now, and still remains the topic of argument and discussion.

So lets have it. Here's the question - What is the BEST software thaqt you can get for making perfect backups of Audio CD's. From what I heard/know, the best one is EAC (Exact Audio Copy), whereby you use it to rip the audio off the CD, and then burn it onto a disc using any burning software such as Nero or Easy CD Creator.

But is EAC really the best?
    Is Alcohol 120% as good as ripping audio data?
    Or is it the now discontinued CloneCD?

VOTE HERE for the best audio ripping software in your opinion!

Serious answers ONLY! Please state why you think so - any facts, backup info will help undoubtedly.

Lets get this started.

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

No need to vote. Exact Audio Copy (and Plextools) give best security.

Have a look at the FAQ of http://www.hydrogenaudio.org or test it yourself:

Create a CD-R containing music and keep the original .wav files as reference. Now scratch it, put some dirty fingerprints on it, whatever you want (start with small damages). Now use different software for extraction and compare the results using either EAC's wave compare function or a wave to substact original - copy and see how many samples are different ...

3. derodra

derodra Member

What do you mean by "Better Security"?

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

"Security" =

In secure mode EAC detects reading errors very reliably and tries to correct them by re-reading multiple times at reduced speed and comparing the results. All uncorrectable errors are reported. So either you get a perfect rip or a detailed report about "suspicious positions" that can contain errors.

Depending on the drive you use, in ~ 1/100 - 1/1000 damaged (= scratched, dirty etc.) CDs there'll be undetected errors. To increase security even more, there's a "test & copy" feature. By comparing CRC checksums of two extractions (can be done with two different drives manually as well) you'll get even better security.

5. derodra

derodra Member

thanks. In your opinion, which is better, EAC or plextools?

6. matinzen

matinzen Member

Hello, I feel that Windows Media Player is one of if not the best audio ripper. I have WM9 and just last nite decided that I wanted to back-up some of my cds. I ripped a cd, and Windows Media was able to name of of the files and put it in a folder with the album art. It really helps the organizing aspect of ripping cds. Also, the quality is excellent, it fixes scratches on the cds and the audio track on the computer (wma) is a great rip. And to top it all of, the ripped albums are not that big in size, my average album is only 45mb! Windows Media is a great choice for ripping your cds.

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

8. gilesf

gilesf Guest

I have asmall problem with EAC though - yesterday, after downloading it it worked fine. However, now, whenever I attempt to open it I get the error message
    "The ASPI interface could not be initialized correctly! (Error E8h) (No host adaptors found)"
    Any ideas how to get past this. (Sorry if this is blatantly obvious!)

9. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Not a chance. Note that WMP will die when it goes up against protected audio CDs. :) (Praetor still likes his Musicmatch + A120 --- EAC is too bloody confusing. Nice - but confusing hehe)

ASPI, Advanced SCSI Programming Interface, is the source of enough problems with anything even remotely related to an optical drive. Note that Windows2000 and WindowsXP do NOT come with ASPI installed and many users, just starting to do more than basic activities with their drives are encountering problems left and right. ASPI is one of the simplest things to check for -- it just takes one reboot. For more information regarding ASPI see http://cd-rw.org/articles/archive/aspisetup.cfm CAUTION NOTE THAT JUST BECAUSE NERO INFOTOOLS OR EVEN ASPICHECK ITSELF SAYS THAT ASPI IS INSTALLED CORRECTLY IT IS NOT INSTALLED CORRECTLY IF THE VERSION NUMBERS DO NOT MATCH UP. ALL FOUR SETS OF NUMBERS HAVE TO BE IDENTICAL. If you are having issues with ASPI and updating to the latest version doesnt help, consider ASPI 4.60 (1021) -- it's the most stable and reliable build of them all. A copy can be grabbed from http://www.angelfire.com/droid/praetorx/files/ASPI460-1021.zip

10. gilesf

gilesf Guest

Thanx - seems to be working most of the time now, and if not does after one restart. Really need decent compputer. parents too poor....