1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best AVI to DVD transcoder? Help, trying many: ConvertXtoDvd, AVSVideo Tools, Avi2DVD. I may have put this in wrong place: SORRY! Info I found on ...

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by airedale, Mar 19, 2007.

1. airedale

airedale Member

This is crazy. I've been trying several of the AVI to DVD transcoders to go from DivX to DVD or Xvid to DVD and they all seem to have positives and negatives.

I'm on trial versions of 3 packages and plan to purchase whichever one I like the best unless I find a shareware or open source that does a respectable job. I HAVE NO PROBLEMS PAYING!!!!! And will happily pay for something that works well.

I'm transcoding as I write this with a trial version of AVI2DVD by TrustFM. The first attempt would not load any audio stream from the AVI file, so I couldn't proceed with this software for that attempt. I like the fact that I can insert chapter breaks at whatever interval I like with this software.

I've tried successfully with AVS Video Converter, another commercial product trial download, but it is VERY, VERY slow and I could not find anyplace to configure for chapter breaks.

Well, AVI2DVD just crashed out. So much for that trial. Though I will try again (I'm on another computer in case you're wondering. It was transcoding by itself no other tasks running).

I've also successfully tried ConvertXtoDvd. It seems to get some positive comments.

Thoughts anyone? Other products I should try?

2. Illusenia

Illusenia Member

I'm a fan of ConvertXtoDVD and Nero Vision.

Nero Vision gives you more editting, menus option (like to customize them w/ you own pic and audio) etc. Does a good job. Can do slideshows, capture video from like a camcorder.
    Nero has been known to have audio sync problems at times though.

Now ConvertXtoDVD - doesn't have as many otpions but trancodes faster than Nero and less audio sync issues.
    I can do high quality w/ ConvertXtoDVD in the amount of time it will take Nero just using the automatic quality option.

So if I want custome looking menus, do editting I use Nero - if not I use ConvertX.

3. airedale

airedale Member

Thank you Illusenia:

I'm coming to a similar conclusion so far...ConvertXtoDVD was blazing fast, has a professional looking interface, and I found where the ability lies to insert chapter breaks!

AVSVideo Tools seems good, and perhaps a cleaner image, but very, very slow. Thoughts anyone on this software? It's commercial.

My burning is mostly kid related and I'm not at all concerned about fancy menus.

I've not used Nero but definitely not interested in solving audio sync issues. It would appear complex to deal with.

4. binkie7

binkie7 Moderator Staff Member

I haven't tried AVS Video Converter. I figure I have 2 programs I like with lots options so why go for a 3rd pay one :)

I've used AVI2DVD - works on one pc for me but not the other.

ConvertXtoDVD by defaults inserts the chapter breaks every 5 mins unless you remove it or change it.I haven't had audio sync issues w/ it.

I've only had 1 issue w/ slight audio sync and Nero on a Ren & Stimpy episode. Just from different forums I've seen users have audio sync problems mainly w/ tv series download when the ads are cut out.

It's really not that complicated but seem that way because of all the different things you can do.

Quality on my end has been very good with both programs.

For your needs though sounds like ConvertXtoDVD would be the way to go.

edit: typos

Last edited: Mar 19, 2007
  5. johnl123

johnl123 Regular member

I agree 100%, I have it and it works great:)