1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best bang for buck digital fireproof safe?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by techlife95, Jul 11, 2017.

1. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

I'm looking for best bang for buck fireproof safe to keep my valuable items such as my blu Ray discs safe from fire. I use blu Ray discs to backup my important files FYI. A few months ago my neighbors house burned down in a huge fire from a lighting strike. I need a fireproof safe god forbid my valuable items get burned from fire damage. Who knows of a fire proof safe that is the most durable for the money?

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

wouldn't use disks to backup important files but use external hard drives & flashdrives.

Mez likes this.
  3. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

I'm doing a facepalm right now reading this :( Not wise choice to backup important files on mechanical drives or flash drives/ssd as they Can Fail. Backing up important files on optical discs is best backup method, 2nd best backup method would be in the cloud.

4. ddp

optical disks can fail too as can cloud sites. laptops & some desktop computers unless custom ordered are now not having optical disks installed so unless you use an external optical drive then won't be able to use your optical backup disks. just because you get yourself a fireproof safe doesn't mean the temperature will stay cool in that safe to prevent the optical disks from distorting & become unreadable. have you heard what the photobucket site just recently or what happened to kim dotcom's megaupload site back in 2012? I have about 35+ yrs experience in electronics & computers so I know what I am talking about that you probably don't.

5. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

Ok I understand you have more experience in IT than me 35 plus years wow :) You're a lot older than me lol. I'm only 22 I'm a young buck I'm not as wise as you. I want to discuss a story that happened in September last year. I will post a picture of my desk to help visualize what happened. I had this hitachi 750gb internal mechanical hard drive that stored a lot of my important data. I used this startech 3.5 adapter hooked up to my custom desktop computer & had the hdd laying on the carpet. Somehow the keyboard slid off the platform & fell literally on the hdd as it was turned on. Then the hdd was not recognized by my pc. I was reluctant to send the hdd to repair shop. So my dumb ass 21 year old self slammed my fist on the hdd causing more damage beyond repair. I lost all my data on the mechanical drive. I discussed this story on website hard forums & a person there suggested using blu ray discs to store important data. So that's why to this day I store my important data on optical discs such as blu ray.

[​IMG]

6. techlife95

techlife95 Newbie

Yeah someone told me cloud backup is good backup method. Now that you mentioned mega upload & photobucket now cloud backup is not the best backup method. What really is the best backup method? I mean, I feel blu ray discs is best backup method honestly.

7. ddp

what happened to that data that should still be on your computer or was it just saved on the external? what did I say about optical disk players above? what is still needed that is crucial for computers not tablets to operate?

8. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes, if you have been in the game long enough you will see of experience horror stories. Maybe clouds are safer than they were but I have lost everything I had on one cloud long ago. The cloud blamed me but the loss was complete. Someone or something deleted my account. Everyone thought it only happened to them. I didn't exist on the cloud. That is like eating yourself. I learned later EVERYONE on that Microsoft cloud lost everything but that never made the news.

You get what ever if you trust some one with your data. It is likely you are vulnerable to hackers. I don't think anyone knows how to be impervious. I know the US government is not impervious but maybe Apple has much better security than the White House. I will let you be the judge of that. If there is a problem, you will be left holding the bag.

Wisdom comes from bad experiences caused by a lack of wisdom. Some learn from others bad experience, some need the disaster to strike them before they learn.

I have experienced optical disk failure. CDs may be OK but DVDs age pretty fast. I have CDs older than you that still work. They are actually metal disks. You burn into gold foil. Gold was pretty cheap back then and CDs super expensive but are expected to last 100 years. I do not know about BRs but I suspect them to be worse. The bigger the dots the longer it takes for them to fade away. BR have the tiniest dots. What I have seen is a reduction in how long DVDs last. The best were made before 2005. They used a much longer lasting dye but the burn rate was only 2X or slower. The current popular dyes don't even last in the dark very long. I still have a few hundred disks I bought back then made with the old dye. Because they were only 2x and 8x was on the market I bought 1,000 for $50. It cost over $200 shipping. I now consider them to be 'gold'. The shelf life has damaged them greatly but they still last many years longer than even super premium long lasting disks. I have had normal Verbatim (not data life) DVDs go bad in a year or two. I only buy data life disks now which are hard to come by. They must be purchased on line.

I wouldn't trust flash drives either. They last a lot longer than DVDs but not as long as HDs. I use internal HDs put into an external box like a next star. You pay a lot more for a good box than external but you get what you pay for. They have generous power supplies so the HD gets enough power to live a very long time. I only use top of the line WD or Seagate disks bought in bulk on a very good sale. . Externals often have inferior disks so the can sell cheap. I don't care about speed only reliability. I get a box with both USB and eSATA connections. I only keep then connected to the computer as long as I am reading or writing to it. Otherwise they are on a shelf. They last for ever on a shelf. I only have 2 boxes and over 20 HDs sitting on the shelf.

You could store them in a safety deposit box. A good safe like what you want is very heavy, hundreds of pounds. Most floors will not support that load. There are special supports for bath tubs and a fire proof safe is double or triple that weight. They are best kept on a cement base floor like you have in a garage. Smaller safes are not fire resistant. My father's had walls more than a foot thick to resist heat penetration. Less than that and the heat of a house fire will get to your valuables. They have a big out side and a tiny inside. They are very low tech but effective.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017