1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best brand for quality dvd movie copies?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by Wolfmight, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Wolfmight

Wolfmight Member

I'm looking for the best brand to copy dvd movies, so they don't skip on me. My dvd player is very new (made oct 2004)..so that's not the case. The other brand I previously bought was Unifino and it's barely sold online anymore. They tend to skip during the middle of each movie about 2-4 times..very annoying. I usually have to stop the player and start from were I left off to get rid of the skips. They do play fine on my PC's Sony DRU501A DVD Drive though.

2. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

Taiyo Yuden are the best disc you can buy. Also, Ritek GO4 and GO5 are good disc for the money.

Meritline.com had a special for the TY 100 disc for $32 shipped (not sure if they are still doing it)

Get the TY and you will not have problems

Also, are you labeling your disc with sticker labels?

3. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

even cheaperhttp://www.supermediastore.com/taiyo-yuden-4x-dvd-r-media-silver-matte-spindles.html :

4. madgreek

madgreek Guest

Just curious. What dvd player are you using?

5. Wolfmight

Wolfmight Member

Yes, I've recently been labeling mine with sticker labels. Does this cause problems?

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  6. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Wolfmight: Paper-adhesive stick-on labels are not highly recommended. Heat issues and wobbling discs are the main reason. I've read many threads on people having a lot of playback trouble using these labels.

When they peel those labels off,their issues usually go away.

Sharpies are best recommend. Inkjet printable media is the next best way to label them.

7. JLebowski

JLebowski Member

Yes, discontinue use of the labels. I recently bought an Epson R200 and it is awesome! The reason your disc are having problems is b/c they are heating up. Thats why they play fine for half the movie and when it starts to skip if you stop the disc and then play it starting halfway through later b/c the disc has cooled down. <-----very bad grammar, I know.

Also- use high quality media

8. Wolfmight

Wolfmight Member

Well I was playing Air Force One (with a label) the other day and it glitched during the middle. I took it out and it wasn't even warm. Wobble?
    Maybe I could place the disc on a holder and roll something over the label to get it very very flat.. Give it a little rolly rolly

9. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Memorex is good media to use.

10. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

for target practice

11. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

There are about 100 threads in this forum going back over a year about how labels cause the discs to become off-balanced in the burner and cause skipping. Try taking the label off and playing the DVD in your player. Does it skip at the same scene every time? If not, then it's not your media, so buying TYs won't help.

12. 222333444

222333444 Member

I think the main problem is "how centered" the label is. When you push down on the tool to seat the label it rocks off center.

My method for my memorex labels is to already have the applicator depressed and then just lay out the label without the center of the label remove. Just drop the disc down on top of the label. Now if I don't want the label to go all of the way to the hub I can later remove the center.

13. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

I would just use a sharpie to label the top. That is the best way. I have done it for years on dvd's and cd's and never had any problems.

14. jka80

jka80 Member

There was a time that I had a problem with home-burned movies hesitating or not even playing in my DVD player. This was the same type of problem that I use to have with home-burned audio CDs. In my experience, the quality of the movie playback depends on the disk, computer, and DVD player. I have two computers that are used to burn DVDs. One has a ‘piece of junk’ Cyberhome DX162D and the other computer has a pretty decent Sony DW-D22A. Both computers are running XP home and using Nero Express. Both drives are 16x dual layer. The Cyberhome drive does not like any disks that I have tried regardless of brand unless the disks were made in Japan. I have isolated this after considerable experimentation. On the other hand the Sony seems to not care about brand or place of manufacture.

Sometimes, the Cyberhome would actually get all the way through a burn and then the disk would not play in a DVD player or even in the same Cyberhome drive! Then other times, the disk would skip during playback. I don’t have that problem anymore now that I know the limitations of each drive. I have not had a failed disk in the last 80 or so that were burned. My procedure follows.

1. Try to find disks that are made in Japan and I verify this (regardless of what is said on the package) by using the free program DVD Identifier. This will tell you the actual company that made the disks not just the brand name. The disks (TDK or Fugifilm) made by Taiyo Yuden, Ltd will work best on either of my drives. DVD Identifier gives the manufacturer ID as YUDEN000. If I can only find the disks made in Taiwan, I use only the TDK brand and only on the Sony drive. To use the Taiwan disks made by CMC Magnetics with my CyberHome is a no go. You can get DVD Identifier at http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com.

2. I am very careful not to put any fingerprints on the recording side of the disk before burning and also careful to not scratch the disks on the protrusions around the drive tray.

3. I shut down all Icons (especially the virus detection software) that I can in the tray located in the lower right-hand part of the screen except my firewall software ZoneAlarm. Since I am connected to a cable modem I right-click the ZoneAlarm Icon and select “stop all Internet Activity”. Now my computer should be able to focus on mainly burning the DVD. My point is that having programs running in the background may hurt the burning process.

4. Nero is then set up to burn the DVD files that I want and I make sure to burn at the rated speed of the disk. Even if Nero says I can burn higher than the rated speed, only the rated speed is used.

5. After burning the DVD, I check to make sure that there are no read errors using a free program called Emsa Diskcheck. Also I put the disk in my Sony DVD table-top player to verify that the disc is recognized and will play a minute or so. You can get the Diskcheck software at http://www.e-systems.ro/diskcheck.htm.

6. I use to have a ‘piece of junk’ Aspire 1000 DVD player that would hesitate during playback all the time. But my Sony DVP-NS575P doesn’t have that problem.

7. Labels don’t seem to cause me any problems but the labeling process has caused me some grief. In the past, I use to use another DVD or CD to press down on the freshly burned DVD to apply the label so there wouldn’t be any bubbles but then this caused scratches somehow. Now I just do as I use to in my photography darkroom days when handling negatives. I just wash my hands three times to remove any oil deposits and then use my fingers to press down on the disks.

Maybe this procedure will not work for everyone but it sure works for me.

15. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Its a good process. Perfect and too the point. I feel good I am not the only computer freak with a computer just to burn disks, or 2 computers lol..good guide!

16. jbelder

jbelder Member

Prodisc S03

17. sadsac

sadsac Guest

I would try burning a disk and not putting a label on it. If it works, you know it's the labels causing the problem. You could even peel the label off of the disk that's causing the problem and see if you still have the same problem.

It seems to me that if the movie is skipping at the EXACT same spot EVERY time, it must not be the label causing the problem. If it skips at a little different spot every time you try it, it could be the label.

Start with the basics, then analyze your media. You never really said what media you were using.

Just because your player is "new" doesn't mean it's 100% compatible with ALL media. Players are finicky about what they like to "eat". Feed it with what it likes.

18. philipman

philipman Regular member

memorex is very good.

19. jim_dandy

jim_dandy Active member

memorex isnt even kinda good LOL

20. philipman

philipman Regular member

It is the best.