1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best burning speed

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by plasmannc, Feb 24, 2003.

1. plasmannc

plasmannc Member

With CD burners operating upto 52X I would like to know what is the best burning speed for a SVCD disk? I do know in general the slower the better but would like to know what is the fastest speed I should use. 1X, 2X, 4X, 10X, etc.

What generally will happen if the burn is to fast?

Thanks

2. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

1x-4x are acceptable and I have got away with 8x before. But just to be safe i like to burn at 1x.

3. CRAZYmack

CRAZYmack Guest

I would liek to burn at 1x but it doesn't give me that option in nero, only 4x, any ideas on how to get outta that?

4. Ripper1

Ripper1 Guest

used 4x it work, it never fail. i burn hurdred of vcd movie in 4x speed but when i tried higher speed my dvd cant read my vcd movie.

5. Shoey

Shoey Guest

4x is really the best burning speed! I've backed up over 100 dvd movies to SVCD format and burned at 8x (bin& cue) with NO playback problems. It is recommended by many experts to burn NO faster than1/4th of your total burner speed. I prefer burning bin& cue format over MPEG anyday, anytime.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2003
  6. Sefy

Sefy Guest

I Don't know, i've burned around 140 movies and all of them was at 32x speed, and i've had not a single problem with any of them, even when played back on a Portable VCD/MP3 Player.

7. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Sefy,
    Consider yourself very fortunate as your home/portable/dvd-rom can read burned (S)VCD speeds at 32x. Many playback problems concerning burned (S)VCD is due to the fact the file(s) were burned TOO fast. Many home dvd/portable/dvd-roms can't read burned (S)VCD at high speeds resulting in playback errors.
    Once again, I recommend burning NO higher than 8x for (S)VCD. After about 12-14 hours of encoding (DVD2SVCD), I'm not about to take any chance at burning high speeds only to find myself "maybe" re-encoding a dvd.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2003
  8. Sefy

Sefy Guest

I Think it's more dependend on the Media Quality then it is on the burning, although it also depends on the burner itself and how it records at high speeds/

I've tested not just on my equipment, but on many others, since I look for compatibility in the movies I do, so my friends can also watch them. I have yet to witness a single player equipment incapable of playing anything burned from 16x and up.

Of course, it all depends on the equipment used.

9. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

I've a 32x burner but I dont burn (s)vcd or audio cd's higher than 4x! One thing I noticed a few months ago was that ausio cd's burner at 32x (or 16x) skipped very easily while being fast forwarded and rewinded so thats just proof. Also, lots of problems with vcd playback have been fixed on this forum by suggesting 4x as a burn speed =)

10. Shoey

Shoey Guest

About 6months ago I tested 3 home dvd players (Pioneer, GE& Apex) of (S)VCD burned at 24x. 2 of the 3 players had playback problems and I used Verbatim media. I then tried again at 16x and 1 had playback problems. I agree what media you use depends on playback problems and video quality (slightly). All I can say through my testing and experience, I find 8x to be the "safe" burn speed, 4x to be the better, and 12x or higher to be in "caution". I've burned audio at 48x and never had any troubles with playback (wave extracted/mp3 converted to wave). All my mp3 downloads form p2p file sharing clients that are not converted (my mp3 library) is data and I'm safe burning NO higher than 8x.

Shoey

11. Dela

ahhh, must be my cd player so, lol, nah but the recommended burn speed for audio is 8x i think!

12. Sefy

Sefy Guest

I Guess I just don't like playing safe ;-)
    I'm Burning at 32x whenever possible, that's why I bought a 32x burner, have tested my VCD's on: Pioneer / Toshiba / Philips / Normande / Akai and others.

Again, I use only high quality media which is verified for high speed burns, so that could also be a drastical cause in reading performance.

But hey, each to his own right ? ;-)

13. Dela

Ah sure its nice burning at 32x just watching the cd complete extremely fast =)

14. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Oh yeah! Burn Baby Burn! (is Ahead gonna sue me now ?) :-D

15. Dela

It's still not too reliable though! i find 4x is great for vcd/svcd!

16. Sefy

Sefy Guest

It works for me, even plays smooth on a pathetic VCD/MP3 Player, can you argue with that ? :p

17. Dela

Indeed I can, i use a stanalone dvd player that will play almost anything, (im trying to trick it into divx, lol) and it skips on things burned at 32x, lol and i use good media

18. Sefy

Sefy Guest

It's not just the Media, it's also the DVD Player ;-)

I've got a good ol (6 years old) DVD Player, the Pioneer 525, plays everything I through at it, my only problem is it can't read CDR's above 89:59 min, which kinda bums me out, but hey, back there, those CDR's didn't exist even ;-)

19. Dela

Yep i know! most of the issues in things like this do lie with the media (ps try telling that to ppl on the ps2 forum *sigh*)

20. Sefy

Sefy Guest

Naaa... I gave up trying to tell people things, it's a no win scenerio, and as a follower of James T. Kirk, I don't believe in no win Scenerios ;-)