1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Canadian Modchip/ Fliptop sellers

Discussion in 'PS2' started by FUSION6, Jan 20, 2005.

1. FUSION6

FUSION6 Member

Im looking into getting a modchip or a fliptop w/ SM 3.3 for my ps2.

What are the best known Canadian sites, that are reliable, don't sell cheap knockoff's of modchips or fliptops, and have good shipping

Im looking to pay with Paypal too.

Thanks.

2. Memnock

Memnock Active member

3. MrBoney

MrBoney Member

I would recommend AVOIDING www.modchip.ca. They are overpriced (I got my Swap Magic for half of what they were selling it for), and cancelling orders is a nightmare.

Sadly, I don't actually remember who I got my swap magic from now.

4. showan

showan Regular member

If you're going to buy anything from www.consolesource.com be careful. I had a bad experience with them and I personally will never buy from them again. I thought their customer service to be complete shit and I had to fight with them in order to resolve my problem. They sent me an xbox modchip which at the time was not compatible with the 1.6b xbox systems. Nobody knew about the whole 1.6b issue back then so I installed the chip and it didn't work obviously. I tried for a few days to get it working with no luck. Then I spent the nest 3-4 days trying to get a hold of them and it was hell trying to reach them by phone. When I finally did get a hold of them they told me I was SOL and that because I had already tried the chip I couldn't send it back. They said I was going to have to wait for a hacked bios to come out. I bitched at them saying that could take weeks or months and they kept telling me "it should only take a few days". I think it actually took Team Xecuter about 3-4 weeks for them to resolve the whole 1.6b issue. In the meantime I was fighting with them at consolesource to try and get a refund or at the very least an exchange for something else. In the end I got into a fight with one of the bit*hes there who was extremely rude and she was very uncooperative. I had to force her to get a manager for me to talk to and after she put me on hold for literally 20 minutes (and this was a long distance call) she gave me to someone else, who again told me I was SOL and after I demanded a manager to speak with I was put on hold again for another 10-15 minutes. Finally I got a guy who sounded polite and he said "ok I will exchange it for you no problem don't worry about what the other people said". And when I told them what I wanted in exchange they still charged me for additional shipping (they made me pay to send the damn chip back to them). This was back in November/December. I wouldn't buy from them ever again.

5. A.Beast

A.Beast Guest

Luckily I didn't have any of the problems that showan had, but maybe it was because I was only buying SM3.3 and nothing more complicated.

Anyway, my SM discs came in less than a week, butI had some questions about my billing. If you look at the front page of their site, on the right side is a picture of a woman and it says "Click here for live help". It takes you to a chat window and you chat with someone at consolesource. She was able to answer all my questions and I didn't even have to pick up the phone.

Personally I had a good experience, but weigh all the options, I'm sure there have been a few more that have ordered from them. I'll probably order from them again if they can get the "slimtool" in, or I'll just settle for a fliptop.

6. brother

brother Member

i live in canada and odered from Console Point.com becouse they are the cheapest even with the shipping and exchange rate.
    or ps2fliptop.net is very good

Last edited: Jan 21, 2005
  7. bmxer4lyf

bmxer4lyf Regular member

8. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

You can also check your local paper. I called a guy from the bargain finder in Calgary and had him install my Duo2 se chip. Alltogether with chip and install was $75. I am not an expert with soldering so that was well worth it for me. Some of these guys also get fliptops and whatnot as well. It may end up being cheaper since they usually buy 10 or 20 at a time so they get enough of a discount that they can sell it to you for the same price as any online seller. Plus then you dont have to pay shipping or anything.

9. Mormegil3

Mormegil3 Guest

Oh crap, I just ordered the swapmagic 3.3 and fliptop from consolesource.com today. Hopefully, everything is fine.I tried ordering from modchip.com but they didn't help me out.

10. showan

showan Regular member

I think that if you know what you want and make sure before ordering you won't have much problem. These companies will do everything in their power to get your money but if you ever need to return something then you will find out how much of a pain it is! For example, I ordered 2 fliptop cases from this company last month http://www.clearxbox.com/site/pages/cat_ps2.html and the y sent me two plain clear cases. I called back and said that's not what I ordered and that I wanted a refund for the fee that I had to pay UPS for bringing it across the boarder. Then he sent me two fliptop cases but one didn't fit properly. So I called back and said to hell with it I will pay for one of the cases but I want a refund for the other AND a refund for both times that I had to pay UPS to bring this crap across the damn boarder. Well...I'm still waiting for my damn refund and this was back at the beginning of December I ordered this stuff.

My advice... TAKE NOTES WHEN YOU ARE DEALING WITH THESE PEOPLE!!! If you place an order by phone get the name of the person you're talking to, record the date, make detailed notes! Then if there's a problem and you call back you can say "Frankie said this and this so I want what I was promised!" Then they will be less likely to screw you around because you have some kind of "proof".

11. Stinky_1

Stinky_1 Guest

you could also connect your phone to your PC and record the whole thing. Then if they dont beleive you just playback a sample of the call.

12. brother

brother Member

good call