1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best CD Burner for $10 - $40

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by mossfan18, May 16, 2007.

1. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

I am putting a PC together for my sister and it is a very basic setup.
    It's an old Dell Optiplex GX150 with a P3 and Win2K on it.

She'll only be checking mail and burning cd's at the most. This is why I don't want to put a lot of money in a CD burner.

I looked at NewEgg and found some I liked. Is it safe buying an OEM and will it come with the installation disc?

Any reccomendations would be appriciated!

2. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

OEM drives are more poorly supported with firmware updates than the brand names are. No installation disc is required, but the drive should come with some recording software unless you already have a version that works for you. Those are the only two risks with OEM drives. Brand name drives at some of the large retailers fall in the price range you mention, and a decent CD-RW/DVD-ROM will also allow your sister to view DVDs on her computer if you have playback software. Windows Media Player ought to work.

3. mossfan18

mossfan18 Regular member

Is there any specific brand you recommend or any brand to stear clear clear of?

I heard Liteon was good. True?

4. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

I have the most experience with LG, Lite-on, NEC, Pioneer, and Plextor; and I like them all. Ratings of drives generally covers the drive speed. I don't care about speed at all. What I consider important is: 1) low error rates with a wide variety of MID codes; 2) uniform performance over time--the drive shows the same error profiles for the same discs an hour, a day, a week, and a month later; 3) regular and consistent firmware support for a drive even a year after it has been released. This last item is getting more unusual. Branded drives are often good choices, too, if you are careful. In the past I avoided Sony drives because of lack of firmware support even a month after their release, and firmware support was limited to Japanese discs, particularly Sony. Memorex drives are often LG, Lite-on, or NEC; and their Nero software bundle is the most complete if you like Nero. Memorex sources from a number of different suppliers, and their drives tend to be the most compatible because they work with so many different MID codes. HP uses Lite-on drives also, but the drive has to be in the HP computer in order to update firmware. Since I swap drives around all the time, this can be a pain. I don't have much experience with Toshiba or Panasonic drives, but in the past Toshiba either didn't issue firmware updates or did so seldom to notice. These days Lite-on appears to be making drives for BenQ, Sony, Memorex, Plextor, and many others. If you don't need a thorough instruction manual, Lite-on would be a good choice. If you want updated software as well as an easy-to-understand manual, look for sales on BenQ, Memorex, or Plextor.

5. ChrisC586

ChrisC586 Regular member

The Lg drives I got a couple of months ago I'm quite impressed with the software has the automatic update for firmware for the drives & they're real quiet. I also have the Plextor still my favorite Benq and Memorex.The LG's I picked up at Best Buy for $42.00.Chris

Two burners I'd stay away from from My own experiences are the Toshiba and Samsung.

Last edited: May 18, 2007