1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best cheap media?opinions...

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by duboy1, Feb 22, 2004.

1. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Hello. I am going to buy more dvd+r discs soon and i was just wondering what dvd+r discs work really well with dvd movies for backing up, and yet their really cheap? I saw digital matrix discs cheap, but no clue if they are any good? Well any info will help. Thanks!

2. QAguy

QAguy Guest

I was advocating Optodisk but today after extensive trials, I am WARNING against the use of Optodisk.

3. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

KHyper Media is a good cheap brand (25 spindle +R $30!) dont believe the bullshit about cheap media having problems- if you buy the brand names you are just being a label whore. They are all the same. I have used all 25 discs sence than and have bought another spindel- not a single coaster yet.

4. cloud96

cloud96 Guest

I always used to buy the worlds cheapest CD-R's for my burner... but now I am going to buy more quality DVD-R's. The reason? I burned dozens of cds onto compusa cd's, which cost 1/2 of the others at the time, and most of them would begin to "decay" after only a few months. There would be these "pits" in the cds and when the song got to that spot they would not play.

I've been using Fujifilm DVD+RW and Memorex DVD-R and no problems with the media. They don't come cheap but at least I know the problems aren't with the media. As for the software (X-Platinum 3.2.1) thats another story.

If someone finds a good cheap brand convince me and I will convert

5. duboy1

duboy1 Regular member

Is digital matrix good though for dvd+r backing up of dvds?

6. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

never heard of em

7. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

cloud69 has found out one of the many "benefits" of cheap media. The dyes plain suck.

Ritek G04's can be had in spindles of 50 for $47 and are consistantly good quality discs that will last.

Call me conservative, but I'd rather enjoy the whole duping process and not accept errors and a certain amount of coasters as a part of life not to mention being secure in the fact that my discs will last. I'd hate to have to reburn a crapload of my movies six months from now because I wanted to see if I could get away with using cheapies but that's just me and my silly opinion :)

8. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

good for you but i have a cheap drive- use cheap media and no coasters- and yes all the movies i burned last year still work

9. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

The words "really cheap media" and "good DVD movie Back-ups" should not be used in the same sentence unless there is also "will not produce" in the middle. Ritek are very well priced, just go and get some of them....

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Good for you. You're the exception to the rule.

11. UT_CK

UT_CK Member

Just to let you know.. I use the LG GSA4040B, and the cheap Hypermedia.. I've burnt close t0 800 DVD movies. I can still read all my movies. I guess I'm also an exception to the rule.

After that many media... I can only say from experience.. that it is a good media/ burner combo.

Regards,
    CK

Last edited: Feb 23, 2004
  12. QAguy

QAguy Guest

Matrix media where the first bulk media that gave me problems with everyone on the spindle. I gave them away because they where no good.

13. cloud96

cloud96 Guest

Just for the record my DVD burner has got to be about the cheapest one out there for the features: Iomega Super DVD All formats external USB 2.0 takes just over an hour to burn a large DVD, got it from Pricewatch.com(compuPlus)... Also those CompUSA ones, the big problem was that the part you write on was the data layer! No protection at all. After a while , besides the pits, some of them would just start peeling off. I could scratch it with my nail on the top where you write and more would peel off. So I guess the key is, if youre going to go cheap, buy 1-5 first, and make sure you can't peel the data layer off with your fingernail at all. Thats my test from now on. If it's cheap, you'll lose the dvd, but you shouldn't have really used it to begin with anyway.

Oh yeah the DVD burner cost $215 and the blank Memorex DVD-R's are about $1.50/cd, right now CompUSA has blank dvd's $20/20pack, and the Fujifilm DVD+RW seem to work like magic (all movies seem to burn, and w/others movies don't burn but it seems like a software problem, thats the magic) and I got for Christmas but I think they are over $2 a pop.

Give it 2 months and they will all be half price.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 23, 2004
  14. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Best media so far for me is Ritek/ridata. No jitters or skips in any movies. I buy from Meritline.com , Supermedia and Rima.com where ever the sale is at teh time (meritline has a tendance to be slow). Also I did get some of that Digital Matrix media from Meritline. It was 4x -r that I got for .53 each, can I say junk. Manufacture code read as AN31. I gave the batch away to much trouble.

15. phydeaux

phydeaux Guest

I just bought a spindle of 50 Philips DVD+RW blanks at Best Buy for $49.99 (plus tax). I watched a couple of the backups and haven't noticed any flaws as of yet. I'm new at DVD burning, so I'm not really sure if I got a good price or not. But I thought I'd throw it out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2004
  16. Oriphus

Oriphus Senior member

Thats a pretty decent price on the Philips as they tend to be over-priced in most stores. The discs are pretty decent as you would expect from philips.

17. edgex

edgex Member

I bought Riteks 4X DVD+ at OfficeMax $89.99 for a spindle of 100. That was here in in the suburbs of Chicago. Can't beat the quality of Riteks and for less than a dollar each.

18. jay33

jay33 Regular member

Pinco have worked great for me. I got 100 for 20 bucks. Not one bad burn out of the 30+ I have burned thus far.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

For reference, Amazon has Memorex 100pk DVD+Rs for 99 with free shipping.
    I have also tried the piodata 4X with success. I only used a 25 spindle.
    I have went through about 200 memorex with 0 problems. At a buck a piece It doesn't make any sense to mess around with no name brands for about the same price.

Only the super cheap generics would be lower and I haven't seen any positive responses on Sky or Digital Matrix or other 50 cent media.

20. Preyzuess

Preyzuess Regular member

Update I have now burned about 400 ritek 4x -r disc with only 1 bad. Getting them from Meriteline.com with coupon code for $98.56 delivered 2 DAY AIR.