1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best cheap media?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by rapiddevi, Dec 29, 2004.

1. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

hello there....this is my first thread!

so after a few weeks of research, i have concluded that the "best media" (strictly speaking, this is according to a tally of peoples experiences) is Taiyo Yuden.

but i was wondering what the best cheaper alternative was?? i am in the UK and the only was to get hold of TY is to but 100 at quite an expernsive price...

i mainly use media to back up movies, or ps2 games so taking this into consideration would be helpful.
    im also interested in the prinbtables so if anyone has any suggestions then that would be great (i am aware that some people are currently experiencing problems with ritek printables.

your help is greatly appreciated

2. biddboy

biddboy Member

Have made over 350 dvd copies with Ritek hub printables (G05) & Ritek non-hub printables (G04), and have never had a problem. My burner is the Nec 2500a. I use dvdshrink to compress the movie & dvddecrypter to burn. I always burn at 4x. My printer is the Epson R300, using the Print CD software that came with it my settings are:- Hub printables 21mm-119mm, non-hub printables 42mm-119mm. Have always used Ritek & have never had any problems. Don't forget that for every person that has a problem with certain discs there are many thousands that don't. You have to find the best disc & burner combination. My last batch of discs were purchased from http://www.Rambox.co.uk.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2004
  3. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

i agree, ritek is good and is still pretty cheap.

4. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Its better to pay $.75 to $1.00 each for Ritek media and know they will always work or pay $.50 each for other brands and never know if the burn will play or not. Cheap is not the best way to go when talking about dvd movie burns. Stick with the better stuff.

Jerry

5. everglad

everglad Guest

Ritek G04 media cost $0.42 per disk. Taiyo Yuden TY02
    cost $0.48 per disk. Why would one want a cheaper
    media disk as the Yaiyo Yuden and Retek are (cheap) to begin with. Purchasing a cheaper media is only going to give you problems. Stick with the two top media you can purchase and be problem free. Remember it takes some time to burn and produce a DVD. Why wast your time and your (cheap) money only to place the disk in the trash? Robert

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2004
  6. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

Like i said originally at the start of the thread (sorry about some minor spelling mistakes)
    i am based in the UK and when you guys pay $.48 or so for TY, here we have to pay more like £.48, so as you can see thats pretty expensive.
    not to mention you MUST buy them in 100 batches.

when i started this thread i was aware that ritek was probably going to be most peoples answer...but i am also aware that people are having problems with them just lately

thanks for the feedback so far any other comments are most welcome :)

7. everglad

everglad Guest

Go to www.rima.com look for the way to e-mail the company. Request two or three samples of the Taiyo Yuden #1736. They will send you samples of this disk.
    Try them. While you are on the web site ask for your price to your country including shipping. You might find they will give you a good price. Happy New Year. Robert

8. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

thanks very much for your feedback Robert,

are you 100% sure that the TY from that site is genuine? i have sent them an email and im awaiting a reply. if the postage is a fair amount then it could be a bargain to me....

but i think we have to pay a further 17.5% duty tax and a huge shipping rate, but its worth a try.

happy new year to you

9. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

dang.......

just recieved a reply from that website to say that they do not accept any international orders :-(

so back to square 1.........

anybody any other suggestions??

"the best cheap printable media"?

10. TonyN

TonyN Member

I got a 100 DVD-Rs at Compusa the day after Thanksgiving for $20. I've burned about 70 so far and have just to burn a coaster. I wish they would go on sale again.

11. qetuo

qetuo Member

At SVP you can buy Datawrite Grey (Prodisc F01 / FUJIFILM03) for £5.99/25 discs, and they are excellent (better quality than Riteks).

12. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

lol,

i just brought riteks from SVP....
    ill post the feedback on them on the message boards when i get them, i hope they are as good as people say.

they are 05 dye, full face and printable. cost £16 for 50 which isn't a bad price over here especially for full face.

as for you americans.....we envy you! your media is about twice as cheap as over here :-(

anybody any other suggestions??

"the best cheap printable media"?

13. One2Go

One2Go Member

Burnt Ritek G02/G03/G04 printable and non and loved them until I did my first 100 of Taiyo Yuden (TY) and that was it, no way of going back. If you go to forums that discuss the longevity of recorded media or if you have Lite On DVD writer or one of the later Plextors they will provide you with the data of outer parity and inner parity readings it is an indication of how well the media ages. Those guys that started their collection with cheap media will find out in a year or two that the media has degraded. When playing back they will experience pixellation or even worst the isk wioll not even start. Not a good choice to save on cheap media if you plan to have a collection. TY is the undisputed champion of DVD burnable media. In the UK there is only one dealer that sells wholesale and be aware of fake TYs advertised for cheap prices. Bigpockets is one of those guys that advertised TYs for £20 and they disappeared instantly (out of stock) once an email was sent to the site threatening them with exposer. TYs are shipped in 100 to a spindle. SVP is a reputable dealer that I have done business with for over 3 years and they have added the TYs to there stock items.

One2Go

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  14. One2Go

One2Go Member

@rapiddevi

I bought from SVP TYs and they are genuine. I was part of a buyers club where one of the guys was negotiating a deal with the 1 wholesaler in the UK for 10'000 and pass on the savings to the members. It never materialized but while I was part of it I got an education of people trying to sell fake TYs. SVP makes a point of that and in the private deal that we were trying it would have cost me £55 for 100.

Be aware TYs are sold in 100 spindels. Bigpockets was trying to pass on fakes.

One2Go

15. rapiddevi

rapiddevi Member

sorry about the late reply to this!
    thanks one2go!
    how can you tell fakes just judging on the website that is selling them?
    i considered buying them for an american site, but postage is astranomical and you would have to buy a big batch (like 2-300 to make it worth your while)

like i said i would like to buy TY's but not 100!
    i cant understand why some UK supplier can get a deal with them, like you said they would sell out instantly, but for the consumer we would hope

1. we dont have to buy 100 at a time!
    2. we get a decent price (very unlikely in rip off Britain)

16. One2Go

One2Go Member

You can't. In HongKong there are manufacturing plants that produce fake TYs with a TY mefia code. You have to trust the seller and have some idea about them. First the dye is not purple but a darlish blue/purple. Second the edges and the feel of the disk is solid, well manufactured. Third TY sells to aoutfits like Verbatim and other large dealers.

In the UK there is only one TY wholesale dealer. Go to SVP.co.uk and read what they say about fakes. The DVD-R is the new full face version.

TY ships the disks in lots of 100 and that is how genuine resellers will sell them. 100 quality 8x speed will last you and as you increase your DVD burning will go fast. I used to buy 25 Ritek and thought the same way I don't want 100. Now I am glad to get 100 because the quality stock is gone very quickly and you never know if the manufacturer is taking a break and you are in need of diskd and can't get them. With 100 that is unlikely to occire.

It is your collection. I know of peolpe that went through their collection of 500 DVDs and found that after a year or so 35 showed pixellation and to be recovered using software and reburned. However about 10 were beyond the state of recovery.

Go to www.cdfreak.com and read something about quality.

17. Balaam

Balaam Regular member

Just to clear up any possible confusion, TY brand disks are sold in spindles of 50, not one hundred. So if you buy 200, you'll get 4 50 piece spindles. That at least goes for the 8x silver laquer disks, + and -. I can't comment about the other types, since those are the only ones that I buy. And the best way to make sure the online retailer you buy from stocks genuine media is to go by peoples recommendations, and research the recommendations of sites like:
    http://www.digitalfaq.com/othervideo/buymedia.htm

18. One2Go

One2Go Member

I only buy DVD -R/+R white printable ones and they come in 100 packages. If they are broken up and offered in smaller packages a red flag would go up. This was the case with bigpockets.co.uk