1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best compression software???

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by gotisos, May 16, 2004.

1. gotisos

gotisos Guest

I am using 7-zip to compress all of my dvd backup files, is this the best compression software , or is there anything that can get it any smaller? So far I got a full dvd compressed to 3.9 gigs, is there anything that can get it smaller?

2. shiroh

shiroh Guest

i do heard that 7-zip is the best compressing tool for data. but it weren't meant for compressing videos.

the way that zip works (i'm not sure how exactly) is they look at the video as a data, like text or whatever. and compress it using its algo. that means if the algo doesn't mess up. you can get a lossless quality for the video.
    what is the original file size of the video

for videos we use XviD or DivX or 3ivX or wmv or realvideo and many more

all theselooks at the picture, and look at the all the frequency and compressed what is necessary, ecspecially those that human eyes can't see. thus a smaller video size. you can put a full length 2 hour movie on 2 cds with little loss of quality or none existant to your eye if you know how. or put on a single cd with acceptable quality.

personally i use XviD, and had ditch divx the last time i reformatted my HDD. I think its the best in terms of quality and filesize than others. but its a matter of taste.

realvideo seems to be able to get certain type of video smaller.