1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best compression to quality - end result ratio?

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by kolakube, Mar 5, 2007.

1. kolakube

kolakube Member

Hi, Im a noob at Shrink and was wondering what the experts thought the best compression rate to quality was.

I know if you dont compress it the quality is best but the size is huge and if you compress it as far as u can its a tiny file but the quality's naff so what is the best percentage for the best of both worlds?

2. alkohol

alkohol Regular member

DVD Shrink: for large compressions needed, go with DVD Shrink's enhancement quality: DA + AEC + Max Smooth.

Nero Recode: use Recode's enhancement quality: AA + HQSR + Assign Best Quality to Main Movie, or simply use Recode's AEC changer by Solomon to Max Smooth.

Or if you want to experience further, then go with DVD-RB Pro + CCE SP 2.70 or ProCoder 2 - these 2 encoders won't disappointed you.

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

They don't disappoint, but the entry cost may shock unless you or a close friend already have the software.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2007
  4. kolakube

kolakube Member

Thanks all thats great :]

5. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Alkohol gave you the specs on how to use the AEC settings with Shrink. I suspect you were also asking what quality to compression ratios are best. With what you have 80% (20% compressed) is where most encoder users go to those for their quality backups. Some people stretch it out to 75%. I've done movies down to 65%, but the quality starts to suffer. That's why alkohol mentioned the encoder software besides the transcoder type you're using. Rebuilder has a free version with a free supported encoder (Hank's). The trade off is more time for higher quaulity. The retail programs are faster and have nice options. A lot of people are using the retail CCE Basic and RB Pro.

6. kolakube

kolakube Member

Ok because I have a libary of DVDs I want to back up to my Hard drive I have bought Procoder2 on reading many great reviews.

So Im taking it compressing isn't gonna be the issue anymore would that be fair to say?

So, If I use shrink to strip out all of the unwanted sound and subtitles and then rip the VOB im guessing procoder now will do the shrinking??

Cheers, Kola

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

ProCoder 2 is a bit pricey, but who am I to talk, I've got CCE SP. LOL CCE Basic would have been a good buy for most users. But with the ProCoder, I'd suggest you make a donation to jdobbs and get the Rebuilder Pro software. It can be set to remove audio and subtitles automatically. RB/ProCoder will do the shrinking. If you only want the menu and movie, use RipIt4Me to rip in that mode. You'll need a burner. I use Nero, but the free ImgBurn does a good job and is supported by RB. You can put a DVD in the burner, set RB and come back later to a burned disc.

8. kolakube

kolakube Member

Hmmm, Im starting to wonder if Procoder2 was the best option. I bought if second hand from a friend and he has gave me it on a two week trial first so if there's a better solution I need to know it.

It's a minefield out there with so many options.

I'm guessing that Procoder2 does a better job and can shrink the same percentage but with a lot better end quality? IS this fair to say.

As for rebuilder pro in what way would this benefit me that shrink wouldn't?

Thanks for your help pacman, Its greatly received, Kola

9. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

First off, we need to know what all you're using Shrink for. It's a good transcoding program with utilities. Since you're wanting to use ProCoder, I guess you use it for the editing. That entails reauthor and you automatically lose your menu function. What I see as a minor flaw of Shrink in reauthor. DVDReMake would be a better choice for editing. Depending on what you want to edit, you might be able to do it with the ripping programs and encoding software.

RB Pro has a lot of bells and whistles. You need it or the free RB to operate your ProCoder. That is unless you have the experience to use ProCoder alone. For most users that would be a steep learning curve just to do backups. RB isn't intended to replace the Shrink for editing utilities, but the RB Pro has options for deleting unwanted material and options for controlling compression.

Looks like you might be better off asking questions in the RB section than in Shrink. Many of us are familiar with both though.

10. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Depends on what you're comparing it to. I use CCE SP as the encoder and I've yet to see anything that ProCoder can beat it at. But there's a hefty price difference between the 2. I have no idea what you're paying for your ProCoder, but at retail prices I wonder if it's worth the difference in cost over CCE Basic. If your friend is giving you a good deal, you're probably better off with the ProCoder 2.

11. kolakube

kolakube Member

Id just like a program or set of programs that could rip DVDs and remove the crap I don't need a la Shrink.

TBH - Shrink does me fine fo what I need.

I would like to be able to make the odd Xvid etc or video that I could put on my web site. Procoder2 for this??

I would like the ability to be able to edit the VOD files shrink makes IE cutting bits and jioning bits here and there but I supose thats another thread

12. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

Here is a GUIDE that uses DVDFab+VoBblanker+dvdShrink+IMGburn

DVDFab= to rip to HD
    VOBBlanker=to remove what u dont want+fixes structure
    DVDshrink=to compress
    IMGburn=to Burn

VOBblanker truly one of the best free program(tool) out there. it can blank,delete,cut,edit,strip,split, and it even fixes the structure while processing, Great program.
    Here is a basic GUIDE for VOBblanker by Alkohol

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  13. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Bowler,
    Nice of you to add the info on how to do backups. I think he'd gotten ProCoder 2 so he could have an encoder system. The easy way with that is with RB. For the less than pristine jobs or lower compression the Shrink for a transcoder works okay. I'd suggest RipIt4Me as the Ripper and I agree ImgBurn is a good freeware burner. Only I'd go with this software.
    http://www.invisionplus.net/forums/index.php?mforum=aioinstallers&showtopic=7

RipIt4Me AIO
    http://www.snapdrive.net/files/60656/download/AIO_v3.0.zip

imgburn
    http://imgburn.com/index.php?act=download

The Shrink in this download supports ImgBurn instead of the older DVD Decrypter burner.

14. 300bowler

300bowler Regular member

@ Pacman77

i thought i already said something about using dvd-RB with procoder2
    Here in this Thread

Unfortunetly kolakube did not understand what i meant.

They easiest way that seems to me for Kolakube would be if he wanted to use DVD-Rebuilder with ProCoder2

1.Rip dvd to HD with DVDFab

2.Remove anything u dont want with VoBblanker(since he asked what program can do that)

3.Encode with DVD-Rebuilder with procoder2(only recommend for dvds with major compression)

4.Burn as usuall

@ Kolakube, hope that was clearer than the other thread.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  15. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Nope, that was your first post. kolakube and I were discussing encoders. Thanks for your input on the how to rip, but I guess we all have our own ways. One of the nice things about Rebuilder and a good encoder (such as ProCoder 2), the user gets to keep just about everything on the DVD if they want to. A friend of mine is into classics and just picked up the 50th anniversary edition of The Searchers (restored version). He was amazed by the picture quality of a RB-Pro/CCE SP backup on his 61" HDTV, and that was without an upconverter player. You're right, VOBblanker would be better for editing titles than Shrink. However, RipIt4Me can take out extras in the rip process. RB can be set to remove selected audio and subtitle tracks automatically. My suggestion is for the user to learn what the software does before putting down any serious money. No reason not to load up on the free software, after all, it's free. LOL A new user should learn to use the free software, and when able to get good backups with it, move on to the more elaborate encoder software.