1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best compression

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by tommy657, Nov 26, 2004.

1. tommy657

tommy657 Member

hi, umm well here's the deal i actaully just got this progam the other night, becuase another program was giving me problems, well so my question is what is the best comression ratio for a movie, so that it's not to fuzzy. thank you

2. kyrainman

kyrainman Guest

The best compression would of course be none. But seriously, my experience has been that anything under 60% will give you very good to excellent quality. Many movies that are under 2 hours will not have to be compressed at all. If a movie has both Dolby Digital(DD) and DTS you would be smart to choose DD because it doesn't take as much space on the DVD and sounds just as good. At least to my ears.

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

And what programs would those be?

Everyone's personal tastes differ as to what is acceptable video quality and what isn't and it also depends on the quality of the eqipment you're watching the copies on. You'll get away with alot more compression if you're watching them on a 27" standard television as opposed to an HDTV that will show video degradation much sooner. I'd suggest getting a couple of rewritable discs and do some experimenting to find out what looks best to you.

This is all to be considered along with kyrainman's very good advice :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004