1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best digital camcorders b/w $2000 and $3000 AUS

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by fusheng, Nov 29, 2004.

1. fusheng

fusheng Member

Hi all,

I'm new here and was wondering if I could get some help. I've been wanting to purchase a digital camcorder for the purpose of making some short films. (technically not film but you know what I mean).

I just wanted to know which would be best for the specified price range, and of course for the purpose of making these short "films."

Here are some I've read of, any recommendations would be greatly appreciated : Panasonic PVGS400, Sony DCR-VX2100, Canon XL1, Sony DSR-PD150

Thanks again

2. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

well i prefer Canon XL1 is good for these purposes like shooting films and documentary,but panasonic PVGS400 is good because it is not heavy as XL1, also hold LCD,and not much as canon 'u know' kinda expensive,i still do not like sony camera 'thats my view' only if you are reporter-assistance "if", i believe that you feel that sony is mixed between canon and panasonic.ummmmm

see in my view any cameras' with 3CCD is totally perfect for perfect works i mean production :)

3. fusheng

fusheng Member

thanks steamcod,

I realise the reputation of the XL1 is pretty good, have you used it alot yourself?

4. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

yes , i've used it before,ummm but not that lot :(

5. bmxon

bmxon Member

I own a Sony VX-2000 and I use it for short films. I love it. The VS-2100 is even nicer because of the enlarged eye cup and some other new features. The best thing about this camera compared to a Gl2 or an Xl1-s is that it is better in low light. If you are going to be shooting in low light situations and don't always have a strong key light, the Sony will get the job done. The canons I can say have very nice rich colors.

Make sure you try before you buy.

6. Streamcod

Streamcod Member

well , i still feel that all 3CCD cameras are totally good for recording videos.some cameras like panasonic too like AG-DVC30 or PV-GS400 small one.

7. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there fusheng.

m8, im a semi pro videographer (still a learner) and "in my opinion" for someone Just starting out, like i was, u will not find a better quality camera (for around $2100au) on the market than the newest model panasonic NV-GS400 3CCD with 4.0MP still shot.
    i run 2 of these cameras and have never had any problems.
    the advantage of this model is its light weight compact size for non tripod work, has a great 3.5" lcd screen, and its price is brilliant compared to its sony and canon counterparts.
    these retail in stores for about $3000 to $3500, and panasonic sell them for $3099, but my supplier sells these cameras on ebay for $2145. if u want u can get the lower NV-GS200 3ccd for about $1600, but the NV-GS400 is well worth the extra cash.

some people will tell u to buy the best camera u can get, even when your starting out, and to a point this is correct, but you will pay a lot more for the equivelant canon or sony camera, and from my point of view theres no need to go past the panasonic when considering "bang for bucks"
    all cameras have thier good and bad points, the canon XL1 is a bigger and heavier camera, and so is the sony cameras, and believe me, the old adage of "bigger is better" is certainly not true with cameras.

this is a personal choice as much as anything, but ive posted a couple of url's below for u to check out re the panasonic cams.

good luck, all i can say is u will not be dissapointed with the NV-GS400, its an awesome 3ccd mini dv camcorder.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39834&item=3859502325&rd=1
    i highly recommend this ebay seller, i get all my camera parts from his shop

http://panasonic.com.au/products/category.cfm?objectID=81

all prices quoted are aust$$$

check out my reply in this thread http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/125211

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2004
  8. fusheng

fusheng Member

Thanks for the help people

I was initially leaning toward the Panasonic NVGS400, and at that price glenpinn, it seems like a bargain.

Then I thought, would spending say an extra $1000 or more on a higher end sony or canon camera be really worth it.

But from what I've heard, the Pan400 seems definite value for money.

Thanks again for all your help

Thanks again.

9. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi fusheng.
    if u going to compare the price difference between all these cameras, especially the 3ccd cameras which is what u should be buying for what u want to do, then u can get the NV-GS400 from my supplier on ebay at the following link, his price is $900 under most retail prices on this camera, and i got 2 of them and they are a brilliant camera.
    u have to remember the specs when comparing these 3ccd cameras, specially pixel size of the ccd chips.
    the GS400 and 200 both have 3x 1/3" 800,000 pixel ccd, and the canon XM2 is only 3x 1/4" 440,000 ccd chip, and is nearly $5000, as opposed to the GS400 at $3100 rrp, or $2145 on ebay, and the new SONY HDRFX1 (rrp $6998) is a nice 3ccd camera but for what your going to do, too much to pay for a starter, so go get the GS400 and u wont be dissapointed.....GLEN

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=39834&item=3859208776&rd=1