1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best divx version for encoding?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by pk1209, Dec 8, 2002.

1. pk1209

pk1209 Member

Hello folks, i have ripped quite a few movies now with divx 5.02 pro codec, and am quite happy with the results, apart from the fact that my file size usually comes out to small, about 1gig instead of 1.4. Anyhoo, i read somewhere that divx 3.11 is still the best for encoding. is this the case, and will it allow me to get movies of the 1.4 gig consistently. Thanks a lot for any info..

2. bang

bang Member

If you want a certain size, then you have to use DIVX 5.0.2 with 2 passes (at the bitrate you want) as DIVX 3.11a is one-pass only (and two pass allows quality consistency). If you want the best quality/size outcome(and video size can vary) then I recommend 3.11a fast-motion codec with scene detect patch set to the highest settings (9999 keyframe, 100 quality, 6000 bitrate) and don't worry, the codec will find the best quality/size tradeoff (i.e. it won't do 6000 kb/s, but this gives it the most freedom when encoding). If done as recommended, most DVD movies (in full DVD resolution) will fit onto one cd.