1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DLNA program

Discussion in 'PS3' started by Rocks911, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Rocks911

Rocks911 Member

I'm attempting to leave DVD and CD disks behind but cant seem to find the best DLNA server answer. I have an older XP computer and a PS3. I have tried Serviio and Playstation Media Server (PMS) and now am giving Tversity a try.

I am not knowledgable enough for Serviio certainly because to transcode video you need to know how to enter code and I dont. PMS seems to offer a better alternative and can transcode some vids, but I guess my question is, what program is the best?

The best all-in-one DLNA program that you dont need to be a programmer to use. Videos come in so many formats that watching them all is impossible but I'm looking for a program taht allows me to watch as many as possible.

I found this old link that lists the DLNA programs:

2. Rocks911

Rocks911 Member

Alright then, obviously not the place for this question

3. qwazew

qwazew Member

I have been using tversity for over a year now. There's lots of information on it website that will likely cover any problems that arise. I started out using PMS but found tversity to be a lot more user friendly. Plus tversity can auto transcode video for you without any noticeable impact on the video.

4. bigo93

bigo93 Regular member

lol the tread that got away :p

That's the problem with the PS3, it doesnt do everything!
    $ony didnt want to pay royalties to use other peoples' codecs, codecs which are very popular and used by many people and other software, so it wont play them :p

I decided to try the PMS again seeing as they released a few new updates, and for files which need to be transcoded I have found that playback isnt all that good. Whilst playing a video it jumps a couple minutes ahead for no apparent reason, so you have to keep going to the menu to go back to where it skipped from; not a good thing if it's the first time you are watching something as you may end up missing quite a bit of the movie before realising it!

For those files that did not require transcoding it worked fine. But that problem is a big one, so probably best to stick with tversity.

Those are the 2 commonly used programs, apart from windows media player's own server.