1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best dvd author software that supports Subtitles

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by andydev, Sep 4, 2004.

1. andydev

andydev Member

What is your favorite, easy, dvd author software?
    I've tried a few,
    Maestro, very good, but doesn't have any menu templates, and I'm a very bad graphics guy :)
    Scenarist, too complicated to learn for me :) .
    Is there anything else you would recommend? most of the nice ones do not support subs :(

2. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi andy.

try this one, i use it all the time (SONIC MyDVD) very easy to use, even a baby can do it.

http://www.sonic.com/products/mydvd/default.asp

its a great program, i got version 4.0 with my liteon dvd burners, but the latest 5.3 version u have to buy.
    i can send u a free version 4.0 if u want it, im in australia, but its ok wherever u live.
    theres not a lot of difference between the 4.0 and 5.3, i get by using 4.0, has good menu builders etc.
    the downside to using these types of dvd builders is they dont allow u to burn a full 4.38gb mpeg2 video onto a dvd-r disc, only about 3.7gb, cos it needs about 600mb of space for building the dvd project (a dvd-r disc will only store i think about 4.38 to 4.5gb, not 4.7gb as they say they do)
    i actually copy all my mpeg2 dvd vids now directly to a dvd-r using nero express 6, and i get the full 4.3gb capacity if i need it. u can still play an mpeg2 video on a set top dvd player without actually setting menus etc, as the dvd burn program builds its own set of basic menus anyway to allow the video to be played.
    if your vids are under 3.8gb in size, then use a dvd builder like MyDVD, the menus looks nice played on tv, but i only use it now for some of my better quality work.
    have a look at the website i posted up top, and send me a private message if u want a free copy of version 4.0 to try.....CHEERS....GLEN

btw, i just got the latest version of NERO 6.3.1.20 for winXP sp2, and it also has a dvd builder with options to build menus as well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2004
  3. drchips

drchips Active member

[bold]glenpinn[/bold]
    Hmmm..

I am confused, maybe I didn't look hard enough..

I followed the link you supplied and read just about everything.

I could not, for the life of me, find anything that said that [bold]subtitles[/bold] were supported.

What did I miss????

Bearing in mind the title of this thread - support for subtitles is important to the thread starter.

[bold]andydev[/bold]
    Personally, the way I add subtitles to a DVD I have created is basically following this guide:
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~erikvullings/

This is done after all the authoring etc.

I use TMPGEnc DVD Author, but any package of your choice will do.

The trick is to add the subtitles after all the other work is done (IFOEdit is really handy for so many things).

Hope this helps..

4. glenpinn

glenpinn Guest

hi there.
    maybe my fault, didnt read the original thread posted by andy well enough, i thoughthe was after a basic, simple to use program with a menu builder, not something that supports subtitles, my mistake, i think the thread was a little confusing.
    sonis MyDVD doesnt have anything about subtitles, it has a basic, but good selection of menu templates, but thats all, i personally dont use or bother about subtitles, i simply add titles using the menu templates provided.

good luck with it andy, cant help any more sorry.....GLEN

5. drchips

drchips Active member

Cool, no problems.

I can relax now - I was thinking that maybe I had missed something (scary thought!!).

6. andydev

andydev Member

Many thanks for tue quick reply.

[bold]drchips[/bold], that's a very good idea. So in general, I author the complete dvd, using whichever authoring program I want, then use IfoEdit, to edit the VOBs it created. Very nice :) .

Btw, I've started using Dvdlab-pro, and it's working very smootly, subs, menus, it has almost anything. (actually I'm sure you have already tried it :) )

What do you personally use to author?

7. drchips

drchips Active member

/Keanu Reeves

Whoa!!

Keanu Reeves/

Where did you get that software?
    Can I get a copy? PLEASE!!!!

It has not been released yet, I know 'coz I been watching for it (that is why I didn't mention it).

At the moment I use TMPGEnc DVD Author for the simple/quick & dirty ones,
    DVD Lab for the more complicated ones,
    IFOEdit to make the real involved ones.

And obviously IFOEdit if subtitles are needed.

8. andydev

andydev Member

9. drchips

drchips Active member

Ah!

The Beta...

And there was me hoping you had managed to get a hold of a Final release Candidate...

Cheers ;)

10. andydev

andydev Member

Well, I've been working with the beta, and it's good enough for now :) not mayor bugs :)