1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Burner?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Ali, Jun 3, 2002.

1. Ali

Ali Member

Hi! I am making backup copies of my dvds and would like to know the best dvd burner out there so that I may burn my dvd's onto DVD-R discs?? Thanks for your time.

2. viper058

viper058 Guest

Check out the Pioneer DVR-104.
    It's a good drive at a good price.

3. ilscuro

ilscuro Member

you could also try sony dru120a which is an excellent burner

you reap what you sew

4. rooster

rooster Guest

For higher success of compatability with set-top DVD players, go for a DVD-R. The one I would recomend is the Pioneer DVR - A04 (OEM 104) drive

5. ilscuro

ilscuro Member

pioneer are ok but get used to writing at 1 speed

6. viper058

viper058 Guest

My Pioneer will burn at 2x. Not too bad. My HP burns twice that quick, but is DVD+RW. How fast is the Sony??

7. MarkG

MarkG Guest

Just bought a DVD-R pionneer DVR-A04, in the UK it's less than £200 now INC VAT (www.bigpockets.co.uk).

Excellent drive, does DVD-R, so is very compatible with settop players, and does 2X writing on certified media (1x on unbranded).

There is a list of certified 2x media on the Pioneer site. Personally, I prefer to use unbranded, and save a fortune, but take longer.

DVD-R branded disks WILL come down in price, and 2x burning will become the norm.

DVD +R does faster recording, but is less compatible with settop players, and the media is very expensive (compared to DVD-R).

I don't know for sure, but I think DVD-R /DVD-RW is winning the standards race.

It's a bit like Betamax / VHS, except this time, the formats are similar, ie. they are both DVD, and there is some convergance.