1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD burner??

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by gixty, Aug 21, 2004.

1. gixty

gixty Guest

hi everyone!

I know this question has been made several times but I would to know whats the best internal dvd burner? I dont care about the price. I just want the best one!!

thnx.

2. woof811

woof811 Regular member

i recomend the pioneer 108 , as i like pioneer burners.

not sure iff its the best but its my flavour off the month

3. 2005

2005 Regular member

I would look at the newer NEC's like the 3500 and the newest Pioneer and Plextors

4. rayboy

rayboy Regular member

All the top of the line model of brand name DVD burner are good.

If you want the best and money is no subject then I recomment replace your DVD burner every two years. Because the best today will be second/third best a year form now.

One time best DVD burner was 1X then 2X then 4X then 8X then DL then ...... who know.

5. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

My take on the best,

Single layer - Plextor PX-712A
    Dual layer - Pioneer 108D

6. Manu_DVD

Manu_DVD Guest

I just got an LG GSA 4120B Dual LAYER Multi Drive. I bought it because of many Glowing reviews (Amazon.com for example) It's also one of the fastest around supporting x12 burning for DVD+R (which I still can't find suitable media to test this speed)
    As the multi drive slogan suggests, it burns all media Types DVD+ or DVD- at the highest speeds yet.

I had some Movies on my hard disk that I wanted to burn and used cheap DVD 4.7GB media which burned great and my Regular PC DVD drive had no problems playing them but my Cyberhome CH 402 had (Normally this drive plays all that you throw at it) so media is the biggest headache it seems..

If anyone can recommend DVD media that works fine on their standalone players please let me know!

Thx

7. Krystovar

Krystovar Regular member

I've got the Pioneer 108 and I've always been happy with Pioneer drives.

It does DVD+/-R at 16X and it will do Dual Layer at 4x. It's the fastest drive out there but there's no media for it yet. So far all I can find is 8x DVD+/-R and no Dual Layer anywhere.

As for good 8x media, I think there's a Ritek 8x and I hear good things about Matrix brand.
    http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_item&id=2526&cata=&s_cata=

8. ffarhat

ffarhat Member

I am planning to get the LVW 5020 ( new one with HDD, 80 GB).. what do you think..and it writes on ALL media..for less than 400 $..

9. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

someone correct me if im wrong, but i think set top recorders like that won't let you copy css encrypted dvds.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]V9 PS2, flip top, SMD, DVDLoader
    Pioneer 107, ritek g04
    DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, Nero[/small]

Last edited: Aug 24, 2004
  10. forkndave

forkndave Member

You are correct. At least my Panasonic DMR-E80H won't. I imagine it's probably illegal to sell one that will.

11. DVD4Life

DVD4Life Member

You can backup css encrypted DVDs with a set top recorder if you have a "little black box" from GoVideo or Sima (copy guard eliminator). But I would not recommend this. I have a friend that uses this method and the backups don't turn out very well (dark and fuzzy picture).

12. forkndave

forkndave Member

You are also correct. I have one of these devices. Although I don't back up DVDs using my set top recorder, I have backed up a few VHS tapes this way. These are mostly movies for my grand daughter (cartoons, etc.) so they're not too critical. It definately does not improve the quality any. It doesn't degrade it very much either. At least I can get rid of the clunky VHS tapes and replace them with more space efficient DVDs. Lately I've been using the slimline cases because they are even more space efficient.

13. forkndave

forkndave Member

Incidentally, how did this thread go from computer DVD burners to set top DVD recorders anyway?