1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Burning Software for PS2 Games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Glickert, Nov 17, 2002.

1. Glickert

Glickert Member

I have a question for you all, i have a Pioneer 104 DVD-R/RW but I have no software. I also have a Creative PC-DVD 8x. I can't seem to find any DVD Burning software to backup my PS2 games. I downloaded Nero but the new DVD games cannot be read by the software to do a direct copy from the Creative to the Pioneer (its really weird). But I heard Primo Prassi is good but I can't get it to work. preferably something else would be better. I'm not sure what to use. Please let me know what sofware is the best to use, and any other information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. playap

playap Guest

i got a A04 too and i have burned ps2 games from the drive to the hard drive back to a dvd-r with out using two burners...i havnt been able to try to see if they work yet but they seem to be perfect copies...i used the burning software that came with the drive...record now...or record now max also works

3. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I got a HP DVD+r/rw 200i and i burn my DVD-rom games with Nero 5.5.9.17 (download).
    No problems so far !
    Mayby you have a compatibility problem ?

4. Glickert

Glickert Member

Well see thats the thing. I tried to backup Vice City the other day, and (i have Windows 2000) Windows Explorer sees the DVD. I can explore around it and all that jazz, but when I go into Nero, I actually think its the xxx.8 version, not the xxx.9 version. But it doesn't see that theres a burnable DVD in the oposite drive. I'll look into getting the .9 version and see if that works...are there other programs that I can use to burn DVD's and PS2 games? Thanks!

5. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

6. Glickert

Glickert Member

thanks man!!! i got it workin now! i guess i just needed the newest Nero to get it working! Thanks for all your help fellas!

7. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Glad I could be helpfull !

I think it was a compatibility problem.

Have fun on the burning ...

8. G_Man

G_Man Guest

I was wondering does your playstation have to be chiped to play the backups when they are burned onto dvd.

9. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Yep.
    The messiah chip that i own works perfect.
    Neo which i had first is not working with DVD-r.
    So get the messiah chip (Euro 200,00) or better ....

10. G_Man

G_Man Guest

Do you know if it is possible to make an exact copy of a ps2 game so that you dont need a chip.

11. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

If you make a copy of a PS2 game it is allready an exact copy !...
    The problem is that you need (!) a mod chip to start your copy.
    If it is a cd-based copy you can start this with a Neo chip.
    But if you also want to start DVD-based copies you'll need a messiah chip or better (Magic)

There's no way you can start a back-up (copy) without a modded PS2...

12. nugz77

nugz77 Member

wizkid, you seem to know your shit ?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2002
  13. fraser_a

fraser_a Guest

If I wanted to burn playstation 2 games what burnning program can i use????? Please some one help me out??? My friend has a new game that i want burn.

14. ClintJCL

ClintJCL Guest

What I want to know is why the mod chip is required at all.

I understand that Sony puts a corrupt track on their cds and dvdrs.

I understand that this corrupt track does not get correctly copied by cd/dvd burners.

I understand that the reason for this is that when these burners encounter corrupt/invalid sectors, they "automatically fix" them such that the copy does not contain these.

What I DON'T understand is why no one has hacked the firmware of any of these drives to have the capability to turn off this autocorrection feature (And turn it back on also, since it's useful most of the time).

It seems that a simple firmware hack + changer utility would allow us to mod our burners at the software level, instead of purchasing an expensive mod chip, thus letting us make exact copies (including bad/copy protect sector) that would work with no mod chip.

I guess the problem is they would have to hack the firmware to EVERY burner. But still, the panasonic LF-D321 dvd burner is $200. Someone hack its firmware!

15. acepnoyjc

acepnoyjc Member

according to what I've read in the past, in every CD that's manufactured, the first few sectors of a cd are imprinted with various binary sequences. This area supposedly cannot be over-written. Instead of using a binary sequence, Sony uses all 0's in their PS2 discs for those sectors. Not quite sure if that's right or not, but that's what I read.

16. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

i heard you can make an exact copy of a ps2 dvd based games and play it without a modchip.....
    all you need is a dvd burner that is really expensive and rarley sold to regular consumers..
    so i read its possible, just one expensive burner....someone correct me if i'm wrong!
    (and you know your right)

17. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Try it and it won't work.
    That's why they sell the modchips.

I am not sure which DVD writer you mean.
    I have a HP200i DVD+r/+rw and was expensive € 549,00. Do you mean a DVD writer with this sort of price or really really expensive and not for sale in stores ? Never heard this story before..!

18. ClintJCL

ClintJCL Guest

Well, I have read up about this a bit more since my reply above. Yes, there is a checksum area that is all zeroes on playstation discs. Burners create a checksum and write it in this area whereas a playstation disc just has 0s.

So obviously our burners are writing this area. So oviously it is *physically possible* to write zeroes there, but the firmware prevents it.

Hack the firmware.

If someone hacked the firmware to a cheap dvd drive (like my Panasonic LF-D321U, which was $200 as of 12/2002), we could put the mod chip people out of business.

19. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

a dvd burner alot more than that, one thats rarely sold to regular consumers, you couldn't go into say, Best Buy, it would have to be specially ordered. it all make sense, its out there, just out of my reach

20. adre02

adre02 Member

Here's the thing that i have a question about. When the cd's were the regulars (80min), all one had to do was use a plexwriter and clone, copy the cd and use a game shark cd to run the game.

Granted you had to take ur top off the PS2 and modify it, but it was easily done and well worth it.

So u guys are saying now that the game shark DVD for the PS2 won't do the same as the Cd'gameshark did for the reg 80min cd's, for the PS2

i've already played plenty of regs cd's on my ps2 using the game shark; now the DVD's are taking over, im wondering if it's worth it to purchase the DVD version of the game shark....

Any suggestions are appreciated