1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD Copy Software

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by LeoLeroy, Nov 26, 2004.

1. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

I've been searching my butt off and I'm having trouble finding the best and easist software to make backup copies of my movie DVDs. I am currently using 321's Xcopy and it works great. However, I want to be able to make a copy from a copy.

I did a lot of searching, and I found so many programs that my head is spinning now! I'm looking for something that's as easy to use as 321's Xcopy and is able to make a copy from a copy. Is there such a program out there?

Thanks in advance.

2. ShitBreak

ShitBreak Member

Nero works fine when I needed to make a copy of a copy done with Dvdxcopy. Just Copy a CD I would recommend not doing it on the Fly. Should work just fine let me know if it doesnt.

3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Do you know who many threads are started with this title? Lots!!! and they all say the same thing ...

Most commonly suggested software is

DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter, AnyDVD, CloneDVD2, Nero's Recode 2.

DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter are free. AnyDVD, CloneDVD2 and Nero all have trial versions .... so why don't you try em?

4. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Flip, thanks for the reply. I downloaded DVD Decrypter but haven't installed it yet. Do I need any additional software or drivers for DVD Decrypter?

I've dealt with Nero before and had more headaches than Jimmy Carter has peanuts.

I will take your advice and try AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Which of the two do you recommend?

Thanks again for your reply. You've narrrowed down my playing field a LOT and I really appreciate it!

I'm editing some of my posts so I don't sound quite a s "stooooopid" as I did yesterday!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2004
  5. flip218

Were you searching the afterdawn forums?

6. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Yes, I was searching Afterdawn forums. I'm a computer nerd from the old DOS days, but new at DVD burning. When I start reading all the technical stuff, I get a little frustrated because I don't understand it. You don't need to tell me to read, read, read. I know that's what we're all supposed to do.

I don't want to make a career out of DVD burning and I'm willing to pay for DVD software if it works.

Anyway, I was just at slysoft's website and I'm a bit confused about AnyDVD and CloneDVD2. Do I need both programs? Thanks for any help.

7. flip218

Here are some combinations.

AnyDVD w/ CloneDVD2. Yes you need both. AnyDVD's only purpose is to run in the background to disable region codes and css encryption. CloneDVD2 will be the program that actually backs up as well as burns.

AnyDVD w/ Nero's Recode 2. Recode 2 like CloneDVD2 doesn't have a built in ripper .... which is why we use AnyDVD.

DVD Decrypter (free) w/ either CloneDVD2 or Recode 2.

DVD Shrink w/ DVD Decrypter, Nero, or CopyToDVD. DVD Shrink will rip and compress, but doesn't burn by itself ... but it will burn with DVD Decrypter's, Nero's, and CopyToDVD's burning engine.

8. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Thanks flip. If I use DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink, is Nero the only program I can burn with?

9. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Deleted - sorry.

10. flip218

but it will burn with DVD Decrypter's, Nero's, and CopyToDVD's burning engine.

11. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Flip, I've done some experimenting today and found that I can use DVD Decrypter and Roxio Disc Copier to copy a DVD.

Just to make sure I'm not hallucinating, I'm trying it again with another DVD (which is a copy from 321's xcopy).

Roxio Disc Copier transcodes and burns. If it doesn't work, I'll come back and post.

I've had nothing but bad experiences with Nero. I know I'm a minority, but since I already have Roxio and if it works, I'll stay away from Nero.

However, I greatly appreciate any and all comments, and thanks to your few posts flip, I have stumbled on to this method of copying.

Edit: It's too bad Roxio doesn't have trial downloads of their software. I have had great success with Roxio products.

Again, all comments welcome.

12. flip218

Backing up a backup you just need a disc copy program. Roxio and Nero both have one ... you don't need to use DVD Decrypter. You just have to have used good media when you made the backup with XCopy.

13. LeoLeroy

LeoLeroy Member

Thanks flip. I'll try that next. I figured if the original was encrypted, the duplicate was encrypted. Guess not, huh?

I'll try a DVD copy program next without DVD Decrypter (from a 321 Xcopy copied DVD).

As for my earlier post, I wasn't hallucinating! My copy of a copy was a 2 1/2 hour movie and I just watched it. Worked perfecto. But like you said, I propably didn't need to use DVD Decrypter.

14. ireland

ireland Active member

I found that clone dvd and any dvd is to me the best and easy program to use...
    i burned over 550 dvd movies...with them..
    DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink are my second..pick..
    but i very rarely use them..
    and one more point i must make clone dvd and any dvd they are always updated...

15. gwomoso

gwomoso Guest

I have more than 700 copied dvds in my collection. In the beginning I used dvdxcopy that I paid a fortune for. The backup message at the beginning of the film had me droped it for DVDtoDVD software. After some research, I discovered CloneDVD and DVDdecrypter. I also tested DVDshrink. I only use CloneDVD for some time. I discovered AnyDVD, so I don't use Decrypter anymore. CloneDVD is flexible and ez to use. With clone you can create an image of a movie and burn it later. The quality is always good because I took off most of the previews and languages that I don't need. In addition, CloneDVD update their program on a regular basis. In conclusion, a combination of AnyDVD and Clone is all one needs to make good movie backup.

16. gwomoso

gwomoso Guest

For people who have dvds copied with DVDxCoy with the anoyine Backup screen.
    I was able to get ride of that from most of my movie. One needs to decrypt the movie first using DVDdecrypter. There is a 186 kb or 181 kb file that has the BACKUP sreen. Just delete it and use CloneDVD or other programs to burn a new copy.
    Conclusion: It is possible to copy DVDxCopy copied DVD. But it has to be decrypted first using DVDdecrypter. Maybe with AnyDVD installed it might not be necessary to use Decrypter unless you want to delete the file.(I did not test it yet)

17. ShitBreak

ShitBreak Member

I have no problem with using Nero. I used Copy Dvd. Works fine for me.

18. SmileyGuy

SmileyGuy Member

DVD Decrypter works great - I've never had a problem (except with one of many home movies that won't copy with it - don't know hwy but others work so it's just a glitch?)

I love using DVD Shrink as sometimes I like to keep one or two extras on the DVD and you can actually see which file is what in the little preview window (but this is useless if you never think you'll use it). Needs another burnong prog of course such as Nero or DVD Decrypter (free!)

19. FartDude

FartDude Guest

DVD Shrink and Decrypter All the way. screw X copy and clone DVD , Alcohol 120 is great with anyDVD