1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best dvd-r/dvd-rw media for pioneer dvr-108....

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by gonecrazy, Jan 2, 2005.

1. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

I've been using prodisc 4x but are not having very much luck with them. I've used them successfully before when we had a panasonic burner so I 'assume' they are not compatible with our new burner. Sometimes the burned dvd will play completely without any flaws but then with each subsequent play it starts skipping more and more. Am I right in assuming it is a media/burner incompatiblity issue? If so which media would you recommend for the pioneer dvr-108?

2. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

I have this Pioneer DVR-108 burner and have successfully used the following DVD-R media without any problems:
    TDK 4X TTG01 and 8X TTG02, 4X Ridata Ritek G04, and 8X Fuji FUJIFIM03.
    However, I burn video at 4X speed even if disks are rated higher, and never burn to the outermost end of the disks.

3. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Can I ask what you use too decrypt and burn? Also what do you have your target size set at? Thanks!

4. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

I have a DVR-108 and have never had a problem using Ritek G04. I use dvd decrypter to rip, DVD2One to compress and Record Now Max to burn. Works flawlessly for me!

5. StanH1000

StanH1000 Regular member

Shrink or Decryptor to rip. Shrink automatically selects Decryptor to burn disk images or Nero to burn video files.

6. beltline

beltline Regular member

Keep your target size below 4400. Some say 4300, some say 4400. Just to be safe try 4350 and see how close you're getting to the edge. Try to stay as far away as you can. The way I understand it, the closer to the edge (outer) - the more chance for failure.

7. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

8. beltline

beltline Regular member

Those would work, but they are Printable. Unless you have a printer that prints to DVD, no reason really to pay more for them. Just buy the regular ones (branded). Be sure if you buy RITEK that they are branded RIDATA. 4x are G04 and 8x are G05 now I believe. Non branded can be anything. If you're going to pay $25 for Ritek, I would recommend the TY's for $26. Just my opinion. Check meritline.com and supermediastore.com for comparison shopping.

9. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Thanks! You just answered my next question abouot whether to purchase the TY's instead!

10. kdob

kdob Member

I have a Pioneer 108 and have been using Verbatim 8x dvd+r's (MCC003's) which burn at 12x without any problems. With DVD Shrink and newest Nero burner, I have been burning new and old movies like a champ. No problems or coasters what so ever.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  11. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

What is your target size set at in Shrink? I just discovered mine is set at the default of 4686 (i think that was it anyway). Maybe this is the problem? Also I have been using - r's should I be using + r's?

12. beltline

beltline Regular member

Mine is set at 4350 (see above). I wouldn't go above 4400. -R's are fine. More important is the actual manufactuer. Download dvdidentifier and see who the actual manufactuer of your disc's are. I had a similiar problem with 8x Prodisc's. They would burn fine, but would skip, freeze, etc.

13. gonecrazy

gonecrazy Member

Downloaded and ran dvdidentifier:
    Manufacturer name: Prodisc Technology Inc.
    Manufacturer ID: ProdiscS03
    Speeds: 1x, 2x, 4x
    So I am going to try and setting my target size to 4350 and see if that works. If not I am going to invest in some TY's.

14. beltline

beltline Regular member

I believe the ProdiscS03 are decent media:

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

They are supposed to be Pioneer certified. So if they're not working with a Pioneer burner, there goes that whole certified BS. Don't feel bad if they don't work. I wasted $40 on some Prodisc I couldn't get to work with my burner.