1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD-R Media nowadays?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by volvox6, Oct 3, 2004.

1. volvox6

volvox6 Member

Just orderd some Ritek GO5 8x meida in hopes to get results that are better then I have been getting with Memorex media. (Side note; I picked up some Maxell media and it is absolute garbage! I made a lot of coasters as my backups would pause every three min. or so! :(
    Is there a program that will tell you the actual make, quality of a blank DVD-R disk?

2. madmax69

madmax69 Member

To know what your media is....use dvdidentifier or dvdinfo. Just google those and you probably find the downloads.. These help to know who actually makes the discs since most companies don'tmake their own...They go to some cheap factories and then just put there name on them.So the problem there is inconsitency.Most people on this forum are going to recommend Ritek, Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui, Verbatim. I have tried them all and basically it has been the luck of the draw for me. I have had Premium Grade media that really sucked and had the cheapos perform fine...even thought you can't be sure of the lifespan of those. Some brands boast about superior AZO Dye technology and guarantes 100 years for the data..Prodisc and Verbatim I think are the ones who use this dye..Yet I have bought Prodisc and 50 were great...and the other 50 pack sucked...My advice..Is buy a sampler pack from a reputable online store like Rima or newegg.See what works best for you and your burner and your players. Stay away from meritline or supermediastore...look at www.resellerratings.com and see that many people are no happy with those..The few extra bucks you might spend at one of those two I mentioned are well worth being able to get good customer service if you do have issues..

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

It doesn't get any better than Taiyo Yuden though you have to be wary of getting some of the fakes that have been circulating. Same goes for Maxell.

4. volvox6

volvox6 Member

Yes, the maxel was very very bad. I could not belive how often the screen froze. Now, Supermedia store ey? Damn! That was who I just orderd the Ritek media from! What bad expeience did you have?

5. madmax69

madmax69 Member

Just hasn't been reliable...Bought a couple of 100 packs and had way too many coasters on a brand that shouldn't have that many....so I dunno what the deal is.I can see that maybe not being their fault..They did refund me once I sent them back but took a long time to do so...Another problem is that these RITEK G05's and G04's keep going down in price at meritline and supermediastore...why is that??? I don't get it..Yet the reputable places like newegg and rima...keep em at a more constant price. I understand the economics of ruunning a business and lower prices might mean higher sales/volume etc...but I dunno...I worry that they are trying to move junk..I figure...are they really gonna scrap or send back to the manufacture all the unused dvd's from for example the spindle I sent back ? They lower prices and then raise em maybe to move some crap they have and then go back to higher prices. I know companies do that cause I use to work at a big online retailer that would lower prices on all this junk they had and people thought they were getting good deals but in fact all they were getting was the short end of the srick...Maybe someone could get the left overs of the bad batch I got...Just way too many bad reviews for meritline..they have an average of 4.. Supermedia store is better though in my opinion...But it's the luck of the draw really...Ritek unbranded media has not been good as of late ,so I have read and I had a bad experience from both meritline and supermediastore.. I have bought G05 that showed up as G04 and vice versa...Horrible edges...gunk on the hub ring..just very poor quality discs...I have had luck with Prodisc white printable..better finish..not as rough edges..Don;t worry yet though....see what happens...worse case scenario you'll be out a few bucks shipping cost for sending them back to them..One final questionable thing from supermediastore....They rate the piodata as excellent discs...but they sell them cheap but yet on other forums on different websites...nothing but bad reviews and comments about bad batches...possible fakes..so that makes me wary of them as well...Good luck...I just ordered 50 Prodisc from rima.com and I'll let you know how that turns out..they've been great so far...

6. Doom1234

Doom1234 Guest

madmax69, what burner are you using? I have a Pioneer 107d and have burnt over 600 ritek G04 (all from meritline.com) with no problems what so ever. Even the discs (2 of them) that had major gel smudges still burned and play perfect.

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

8. madmax69

madmax69 Member

I have a Lite-ON I forget which one...I know they're not the greatest but hey...I get good burns on Prodisc/Optodisc...I would say about a 98% success rate..But those I bought at rima.com. I know it doesn't mean much cause they can all maybe get a bad batch and unknowingly sell it to the customer...My coasters I believe are not user errors...In the beginning about a year and a half a ago...yes...not anymore though..I blame the media...and then I blame the supplier of the media..I know enough to check compatibility with the manufacturer..I bought my burner as an I/0 Magic but its a lite-on but I/O did give me a list of all the brands they recommend and what I can expect as far as speed. I wish I still had the email..Might be useful for someone on the forum...I don't dog the Ritek's..I just don't trust the unbranded stuff from either meritline or supermedistore..

9. joeyjoey

joeyjoey Member

madmax69,
    I've had the exact same experience as you with the unbranded Ritek lately. I just ordered a 100-pack of the G04's, BUT they identified as G05's (you can tell the color of the dye is different anyway). And yeah, bad edges, etc., but worst of all they just DON'T WORK. I've tried 7 discs and had 7 failures, on my Plextor 708A. These are the first failed discs I've ever had, and I've burnt at least a couple hundred.

so... guess I'm avoiding Meritline, and the unbranded Riteks from now on. I suggest everyone else do the same. We'll see how my return goes...

[EDIT: When I say "bad edges" I don't mean the bonding material, or whatever it is that seems to have spilled out the sides of some discs; I'm talking about the visible edge of the dye, which seems to have gaps and weird, non-uniform spots.]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  10. joeyjoey

joeyjoey Member

And yeah, I'll mention too that I've never had any problems with the branded Ritek/Ridatas before, both G04's and the 2X G03's a while back. Recently I tried some HQ AZO discs, just because they were SO cheap, and all burned perfectly; they even worked perfectly on a friend's equipment who had trouble with some of my burned Riteks. Anyone else have experience with these HQ AZOs? If they're all as good as that last 50-pack I can't really justify buying anything else. hmmm... guess I've burnt more than a couple hundred after all.

11. Nephilim

So much unbranded crap out there giving Ritek a bad name.........

12. madmax69

madmax69 Member

I agree with you...Can't seem to trust the unbranded stuff anymore......

13. Nephilim

Last edited: Oct 4, 2004
  14. tapedude

tapedude Member

I've had great luck with Taiyo Yuden DVD-R fom http://www.tapeandmedia.com/dvd_r_media.asp . On the east coast so I did not have to wait for a shipment to arrive from California. Nothing against CA, I'm just on the other side of the US.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  15. Nephilim

Taiyo Yuden has consistently been a superior maker though their reputation is being somewhat tarnished by the fake TY that's been popping up :(

16. iriedawta

iriedawta Guest

thats funny........i just bought from meritline a week ago. used the branded ritek go5 dvds and they work fine with me. i burnt it with the pioneer 104. so far its playing my ps2 backups fine and movies.

17. eric545

eric545 Regular member

I've recently found some 8X media at allmediaoutlet.com in California. The media is PowerMatrix 8X White Top DVD-Rs. When I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to burn some DVD's, Roxio identified the media as 12X and using my Pioneer DVR-108 it actually burns at 12X and only cost around thirty cents each. I have no idea how it will perform in other burners, but for me they have been outstanding.

18. lajr1980

lajr1980 Guest

I use the fake Taiyo Yudens - Matrix 8x DVD-r disc.
    They work pretty good on my NEC 3500 drive and I have burned @16X with no problems. :eek:) I will buy the Real Taiyo Yuden later when I get some dough! LOL!