1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD-R Media to use for DRU-510A?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by markw, Aug 12, 2004.

1. markw

markw Member

I have a Sony DRU-510A and have burned many DVD's over the last year or more. I have always used 1x ACCU DVD-R's the entire time. I've rarely had a coaster and they are all working fine after 1 year. Just this last month I ordered the 4x ACCU DVD-R's. I ordered all of these from Meritline. One odd thing is when I select 4X it says they are burning at 4x but it just is 2x since it takes around 35 mins. What I don't like when I see them stacked in the spindle they seem more flimsy and not as flat as the 1x's. They just have a much cheaper flimsy feel and don't seem even. As well, since I have been burning these on quite a few I've had problems. I have had few coasters but when I play then on my Samsung DVD Player I get garbled pictures throughout some of the dvd's and have audio cut in and out and sometimes they simply stop playing. Sometimes it's the beginning of the dvd, sometimes the end. I don't know if this is all ACCU DVD-R's now or just the 4x. I am tempted to just try to order 1x again but as well, is there another brand I shoudl look at? I've heard a lot about BeAll as well as Ritek but I know there are many types of Ritek. As well, it seems that a lot depends on where you order from and when since sometimes it seems they change from one manufacturer to another. I'm interested in any suggestions of reliable media and I"m glad to go to 1x if that's what it takes. For now I'm burning any 4x accu's at 1x and am hoping that helps.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

To satisfy your curiosity you might try running the different discs through DVD Identifier and see if the manufacurer comes up different. Whether the manufacturer is different or not it certainly appears they went low quality with the 4X media.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

I'm guessing the new 4X media is only burning at 2X due to piss poor quality. When you put a disc in the burner it will take a look at the disc and decide for itself what the best burn speed is regardless of what the disc is rated for. This is a common occurence with low quality media.

And now to the media recommendations shall we?

Riteks are indeed very good media and the RiDATA branded Riteks are consistently good, they're all I use :)

RiDATA's can be found at http://www.newegg.com/ and http://www.meritline.com/
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG]
    "And there we saw the giants ... And we were in our own sight as grasshoppers, and so we were in their sight." Numbers 13:33

JMLS-166S/Plextor PX-708A/Plextor Premium[/small]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2004
  3. brobear

brobear Guest

If you're in a hurry and your local outlet doesn't have the Ritek, some of the known brands will work well. Verbatim, Sony, and Imation to name just a few. Try to get brands with manufacturers like Mitsubishi, Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh and Ritek.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2004
  4. markw

markw Member

I went on and ordered a small amount of BeAll and Ritek from Meritline. I should get them early next week so will see how they work but if I do need any earlier I will try some of those brands locally.