1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD ripping software to keep Aspect Ratio

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by darkoZiac, Jun 5, 2007.

1. darkoZiac

darkoZiac Member

Hey all,

I've tried a few of the main ones out there (Xilisoft DVD Ripper, Magic DVD Ripper and No 1 DVD Ripper, to name a few), but I'm having problems with each one of them. One or two with their XviD output settings, but mainly with their inability to keep the original DVDs aspect ratio. Each one has a setting for 'full' or gives you the option to select the aspect ratio, but they always end up converting it the same, as 4:3.

Anyone else gone through the same problem? Is it something I'm doing wrong with these or is there a better converter that I've not found yet?

Cheers.

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

well in my sig you'll find a link to my guide, the software is free, and effective, you can select in the softwares interface what Ratio you want it to come out as so, but usually it does it for you cheers...nothing better then free ripping software

just in case

-- GUIDE-RIP ANY DVD STRAIT TO YOUR COMPUTER IN ONE WATCHABLE FILE (XVID), USING FREE SOFTWARE - http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/511317

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2007
  3. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

ripping a DVD is taking the whole DVD or just the movie and copying the file struction (VOB, IFO, BUP files) to the hard drive..... so there isn't any CONVERTIONS going on and the aspect ratio stays the same when ripping to hard drive! If you are converting files like AVI,MPEG, and other file formats to DVD Compliant files ready for burning...... that's when aspect ratios come into play. I use ConvertXtoDVD and you can set your aspect ratios like this:
    [​IMG]

You can use rippers like AnyDVD:
    [​IMG]

or DVDFab HD Decrypter (which is free):
    [​IMG]

4. darkoZiac

darkoZiac Member

ah, ok, sorry, my use of wording was obviously off. I'm talking about getting the DVD files, with one or more video files in them, that I want to convert to AVIs, using the XviD codec. all I want is a converter that keeps the aspect ratio up and allows me to relatively control the output quality. I've no problem burning my files afterwards to DVD, this is for keeping individual AVI files on my laptop, or whatever.

just tried Handbrake there and while it was fast and gave the impression it was going to do what I wanted it to, it ended up being just the same, it changed the aspect ratio from 16/9 to 5/4, which stretches it quite badly. also the program doesn't allow me to do anything to the output file, crop or whatever.

I have also just tried FairUse and while that was good, it didn't have the same ratio as the DVD file, they had close enough, but not the exact, so it'd be good enough, if I don't find anything better, they're the first ones who have done it at all properly.

thanks again.

5. IHoe

IHoe Senior member

how about AVS Video Converter:
    [​IMG]

6. ipodwiz

ipodwiz Member

I convert video files and use these kind of products for a living. I have used more than I can count. I constantly have people asking me what the best ones are, so finally I made a website, iPod Video Converter. To convert dvd the way you want, I would suggest you get either AVS Video Tools or Aimersoft DVD Ripper. Both are excellent products and very affordable or just download the free trials. Hope this helps!

7. ebega

ebega Regular member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2007