1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVD software

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by gocubsgo, Sep 9, 2004.

1. gocubsgo

gocubsgo Member

I like the features of DVDXCopy Platinum, but I get too many errors with discs using it. I want to be able to take extra features off the DVD like XCopy can, but I can't find software that will do this. DVDShrink is ok, it'll let me take extra audio and subtitles off, but I could really get some less compressed DVD's if I could just take off the music videos, stunt extras, etc. Anybody know of a good software program?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Have you tried using Still Image compression on the extras you don't want? It won't exactly remove the title, but it will replace it with a single still frame that will drastically reduce the size. If you don't mind paying a little bit, I recommend DVD ReMake or DVD ReMake Pro. They can save more space by completely removing the titles you don't want, and you can edit the menus to remove links to those titles. They can also remove unwanted angles from the movie (often used for credits in different languages), and the Pro version can remove ILVU (different versions of the same movie with the same aspect ratio) to save even more space.

There are free trials you can download to learn how these programs work, but you can't export the project to actually make your new DVD. There's a link in my signature to a guide. The first page of the guide has links to the trial versions.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue
    DVD Rebuilder Guides: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial_advanced.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  3. eric545

eric545 Regular member

gocubsgo

I first use DVD Decrypter to rip the movie to a folder then I use Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 "Copy DVD" Main Movie Only feature to burn the movie to a single dvd-r without all the extra trash.

I have two Pioneer DVD burners (108 & A07) and always use Princo 4x general use DVD-R's. Using that combination, I have had fantastic results. Hope that helps you!

4. eric545

eric545 Regular member

gocubsgo

PS: I neglected to mention that using the Main Movie Only feature, roxio has not had any problem getting all of the main movie on a single DVD-R. If a movie is too large for a single DVD-R then roxio shrinks it so that it will fit.

5. Doc409

Doc409 Active member

You could use DVD Shrink to remove languages, and process at no compression. Then use Remake/Remake Pro on this file to [bold]selectively[/bold] remove just about anything you didn't want from warnings to previews to director cuts. You could then send this file through your DVDXCopy Platinum.

I would also recommend the DVD2One transcoder for ease-of-use. It has a movie only feature, which removes all the extras non-selectively. It does let you remove the different languages and sound tracks of your choice. It also has a very fine encoding engine that, IMO, is better than DVDXCopy or Shrink. It will also let you combine a 2-disc movie onto one DVD-5. You will need a ripper to use it, and also a burning app.

6. zippyd

zippyd Regular member

If you use shrink in reautor mode you can simply select the main film(double click or drag and drop), deselect the audio you don't want, and if you want you can edit the start and end points of the film (nice feature for getting rid of the studio adds and the end credits). Most of the time if you do it this way no compression is needed unless it's a really long movie.

[​IMG]