1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best DVR with hard drive?

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by nturk, May 2, 2005.

1. nturk

nturk Member

Greetings to all. First timer with a question. I'm looking for a digital video recorder with a built in hard drive. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. As expected, looking for the best bang for the buck. Thanks, in advance, to all who choose to reply.

nturk

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

You didn't say what you wanted the unit for. If to copy VHS to DVD and general very good recording. Go to Wal Mart and get an ILO. Go to Guitarmans site [ss3f.com/ilo] and Get the latest hacked firmware

3. nturk

nturk Member

LCSHG - Thanks for the reply. Looking for something for general recording (TV stuff) & transfering personal Mini DV tapes to DVD. Any suggestions?

4. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

I have the Ilo and am very pleased with it. While I have not done any DV transfer, I’m told that the recording is very good. I am well pleased with the VHS to DVD and the overall recording On both the DVD and HDD With the hack this unit is hard to beat and it’s very hackable. With the hack you will get a 3 hr LP mode. There is a lot of information concerning the ILO on this and other forums. There are lots users that will praise it and those that condemn it. You need to install the latest firmware. It’s easy. [Guitarman] [Gtrman] has installation instructions in this form [firmware download page] on this site. The hacks at his site are very good. On another site [Normando] has very good hard drive upgrade instructions for the ILO, along with other info. The ILO is well supported. It’s a Wal Mart item., so I guess you can take it back if you want

5. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

GO to a thread at thi site, Anyone have a ILO DVD Recorder etc>>>> There were some 247 responces and I'm sure there are many many opinions

6. VideoBob

VideoBob Regular member

For transferring MiniDV to DVD it's hard to beat the Panny DMR-E95HS. It has a firewire input you can use to go direct to DVD or edit it on the hard disk first.

I have one of those and a DMR-85HS as well as a couple of older models: a Panny Showstopper 1000 (ReplayTV 2000) and an RCA 7000n. If the old showstopper had a DVD burner, I would snatch up every one on eBay, because they are *extremely* upgradeable, and the best user interface of the lot--including FREE 14-day programming.

bob

7. jermo

jermo Member

I just bought a DMR-E95HS and love it. Especially the easy way to edit out commercials and also to divide titles.. Overall a great machine!