1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best equipment recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by pghpgh, May 16, 2004.

1. pghpgh

pghpgh Guest

Hi all,
    I am wanting to get into DVD "backing up" and I have a new computer and would like some recommendations as to the best burner to buy and the best DVD stand alone player to get to play all my "back-ups" All input is welcome and thanked in advance.

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Get a Pioneer A-07 burner and an Emerson EWD7003 player.

The Pioneer is fast and reliable, the Emerson is cheap and plays everything.

3. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

For the burner I'd suggest one of 3, depending on what you're going to be using it for. If you need to use it as a CD burner as well and you'll be making copies of PC games I'd recommend the Plextor PX-708 or PX-712. If you can't afford the Plextors, the Lite-On LDW-811S is also excellent for this purpose. If you don't need it to back up PC games I think the Pioneer A07 (aka 107) is a no-brainer. Pioneer has the longest record of anybody for making high quality DVD burners, and the A07 is no exception. Plus, it's likely that somebody will release a hacked firmware to upgrade it to a dual layer burner eventually. That feature, by itself, might save you from buying another burner 6 months to a year from now.

The player is a little tougher, since there are so many to choose from. If you really want to find the best you can get, I'd recommend checking out the database at videohelp.com:
    http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers

You can select the features you want, find the players that have them, and read reviews of those players submitted by various people. Take everything said there with a grain of salt since you don't know if the person posting has any clue what they're talking about, but in general it's a very helpful resource.

I don't know anything specific about the Emerson player fasfrank mentioned, but my brother has a different Emerson and it seems to play everything as well.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm
    Good Guides To Get You Started:[/small]

Last edited: May 16, 2004
  4. pghpgh

pghpgh Guest

Great!! Thanks for the help....one last inquiry please. I have a chance to get a LG Super Multi DVD Drive for 50% of the going price at a vid convention in town.....the vendor says they are just the ticket. I have heard of the Pioneer but is the LG a safe bet to. Money is an issue but not if it just gets me a coaster maker. Thanking in advance all who answer.

5. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

Honestly, although I've seen a lot of posts by people who are happy with LG burners, I've also seen a lot by people who aren't, so I couldn't recommend it. With price being a major consideration I'd have to say to look for either a Pioneer or a Lite-On.

6. mrman

mrman Regular member

I own a LG GSA-4040B super multi drive and have backed up about 200 movies without a single coaster so i would highly recomend it especially if it is at a good price.