1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question Best format for video file/DVD to USA from UK?

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by Roadgiant, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Roadgiant

Roadgiant Newbie

Hi,I want to send some video files to friends in the USA.

Just to give you a bit of background, I film basketball games for a club I work with here in the UK,I normally edit the video and put it on to DVD which being in the UK is of course PAL format.

I have been asked to send some games over to the USA for people over there.

As far as file size goes it's not an issue,I can get good enough quality under 2Gb, which I can send using a file transfer program (in my case WeTransfer which has a 2Gb max)

The files will be played on computers mainly.

What is the best format to send the files over to the USA?

If I create a MPG file here in the UK will there be any problems playing it on computers in the USA without any conversion?

Would a DVD ISO file created here (PAL) be able to be burnt to DVD in the USA and be playable there?

Hope what I have written makes sense,thanks in advance RG

2. attar

attar Senior member

For DVDs, PAL or NTSC are of significance if the video is in DVD Movie format AND will be played back from a standalone DVD player to TV.
    Any format you can play on a PC in the UK can be played on any other PC (assuming they use the same media player).
    So, yes any ISO can be burned to disk and played on a PC (but if it was DVD Movie format to be played on a standalone DVD player the ISO would have to be in NTSC format).
    If the image file content was say, DivX, and was to be played back from a standalone player, that player would have to be DivX (or XviD) capable.