1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best format to use to store DVD's on PC

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by mdavis424, Jul 29, 2007.

1. mdavis424

mdavis424 Member

What is the best file format to store movies on my PC that will be watched on the PC, but still maintain the full DVD quality? I can rip DVD's to the hard drive using AnyDVD / CloneDVD in the DVD format, but it's clunky to play them. I've tried several converters to avi, mpg, or wmv format, but the quality is significantly lower. I've got plenty of hard drive space, I don't need to compress the file size, but I need a simple interface that shows a list of movie titles you can just click to play to get the wife to use it.

2. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Use Imgburn or DVD Shrink to create an ISO file on your HDD and then use either Media Player Classic or VLC player to veiw the movies.

3. mdavis424

mdavis424 Member

This worked great on my desktop, but when I try to play the file back on my laptop I get "unable to render file". I tried another PC and I get the unable to render file error as well.

4. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

@mdavis424---Does the laptop or other PC have the exact same programs you used or the ones LOCO mentioned?
    .ISO files dont play on all players, they wont open with my Windows media 10 and gives a error message similar to yours.

I personally leave things as a VIDEO_TS folder because thats what is easiest for me and I already have a program (Nero ShowTime) that will play it. Its all about what you are familiar with if you arent worried about disk space.

5. mdavis424

mdavis424 Member

Yes, have AnyDVD and Media Player Classic installed on the laptop.

Problem is this has to be wife-friendly, if I could find a player which understands the VIDEO_TS structure and would just give her a menu of movie names. Otherwise I need them in some kind of single-file format so when she clicks on a file name, the movie plays.

6. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

How did you transfer from PC to the laptop? Did you put it on a disk? and burn as data, not as a DVD? Cheap disc burnt too fast?
    I'm trying to narrow things down because the same program (Media Player Classic or VLC )should open the same file(.ISO) on two different machines.

7. mdavis424

mdavis424 Member

Transferred via network. Also tried a second desktop, it would not play with Media Player Classic either. Downloaded VLC and it would play the ISO on either machine, so had to just be missing a codec or something.

8. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

Stick with VLC if it works...it's just as good if not better.

9. Deadrum33

Deadrum33 Active member

Glad its sorted out. I hope this keeps things "wife proof" :)