1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best IDE location for best results for DVD burner

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Mandrex54, Sep 7, 2003.

1. Mandrex54

Mandrex54 Member

Hi all,
    Just got a NEC 1300A and where is the best place to install it on: the PRIMARY or SECONDARY bus, MASTER or SLAVE?

Currently in have everything set at Cable Select with the following:
    PRI: 40 gig C,(0,0);DVD reader only (1,1)
    SEC: CD-RW (0,0); 60 gig D,(1,1)

To my newbie friends this means that the devices closet to the motherboard connectors are labelled (0,0) and those at the "end" of the 80 pin cables are (1,1). :)

I would normally replace the DVD reader and be done with it but a friend said that its performance would be better if located at the best spot...location,location,location...

Any and all hints appriecated; lol, no; he didn't tell me where is was...
    TIA!
    Henry

2. karatone

karatone Regular member

Some friend you have there,if he knows the correct hook-up then I don't see what the problem could be with you directly contacting him or better yet have your buddy come over and show you hands -on, now that would be a freind! I'll take a look at my set-up and post later,I've had really good results with no coasters yet!I'm not saying that my hook-up is the best ,there may be better ways configure your pc but your best bet would be to just read different posts on this forum and you'll probably find what you need. Good luck!

3. Mandrex54

Mandrex54 Member

lol, yeah I thought that too... but there you go; I'll email him later.
    Still let me (us) know your config,i'll post his answer as well.
    Thx!
    H

4. dalilman

dalilman Member

bump, and let me add to this instead of making a new thread...

ive got an optorite and its only burning at 2x, but stating (in nero, etc.) that its burning at 4x (using 4x media). im guessing this has to do with its IDE location. i believe its on secondary slave, with the dvd-rom at secondary master. i also have a 40 gb HD and an additional 200 gb HD. thanks for any suggestions

5. Mandrex54

Mandrex54 Member

dalilman: Just swap the two. Mine isn't here yet so I was looking to install best way from the start; if it actually (says my friend) matters.Also,I'm told(...) that due to two way traffic on the bus you should NOT have both CDs on the same bus;that may be your first "prob".
    So you'll have to do HD/CD for each IDE bus.
    Henry