1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best media for a NEC 3500A

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by degraw, Nov 11, 2004.

1. degraw

degraw Member

Does anyone else have a NEC burner? Wondering whats the best brand of media to buy. Its a dual layer, but thats too expensive these days to invest in.

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

If you ask here, you will get Taiyo Yuden (the best), Verbatim, or Ritek Ridata's for a pretty regular answer.

3. degraw

degraw Member

i have never heard of taiyo or ritek, are they common at places like best buy?

4. kchev

kchev Regular member

No, TY and Ritek are sold online only. Although if you learn what to look for and are a big gambler, you can look for discs like Fuji for the Taiyo Yuden media code. This means that Fuji uses Taiyo Yuden's dye to make their disc. You won't find alot of TY in stores though.

I buy my TY's from rima.com and they are top notch. Most people buy online for a couple of reasons.
    1. The media is alot cheaper than a retail store. (except for maybe a giveaway sale) You can still get most media cheaper than Best Buy gives away on their huge sales.
    2. You can pretty much guarantee what kind of dye the disc has you will get. It is pretty much a crap shoot in a retail store and 9 times out of 10 it is CMC discs.
    newegg and rima are 2 good reputable sites to buy media from.

Make sure to buy Ritek Ridata "branded" also. You will be left with bad results with something like Ridisc, etc. There are alot of Ritek spinoffs.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  5. degraw

degraw Member

what does branded mean?

the only thing that will play the movie i burned on the TDK's is windows media player...this is most likely due to the fact its on crap media? (winDVD will play, but no sound)

6. kchev

kchev Regular member

7. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... You take your chances with TDK ... You can get some made by MXL or MCC, (first class all the way) or you can get a batch manufactured by CMC, (which is 4th class media) ...

... As far as buying from a store ... I like Maxell ... But I would much rather go online and buy RiDATA branded Ritek media from NewEgg (my favorite), SuperMediaStore or Rima ...

... Branded ... This means that you will see the brand name written somewhere on the disc ... This is opposed to the disc being completely free of anything except maybe a number, which doesn't count ...

... Here is a link for you ...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

Last edited: Nov 11, 2004
  8. degraw

degraw Member

what other reason would the movie not play on a PC with winDVD. I can see alotof reasons for not playing on my DVD players. I have movies bunred on verbatim +R DVDs that play on my APEX just fine.

9. fitzwolf

fitzwolf Guest

hi degraw i just got a 3500ag about a month ago and the best media i have used to date are verbatim 8x r- and ty 8x r- , they are a little bit more expensive , 50 euros for 50 , but with the new 2.18 firmware they burn at 12x nicely . i also have used ty 8x r- with even better results , but they are even harder to get here in ireland .

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2004
  10. catfreak

catfreak Active member

11. Slaser

Slaser Member

Wow, TDK is getting a bad rep on this site. I only use TDK +r/-r brand. I purchase mine from Staples. I havent had a coaster yet, I have burned over a couple hundred of them.

PS2 backup games on TDK play as good as the original.
    DVD Movie backup same results for me. Maybe its your burner. BTW degraw one of my Dvd Burners is a 4x Nec. Also my windvd version 4.0 and powerdvd have no problems playing my movies on my computer. Nor have I had a any dvd player not capable of playing the brand.

Staples had a huge sell last week on TDK. I bought 2 25 packs DVD -r for 20 bucks. I also purchased the same in r+ for 20 bucks.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004