1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Media for backing up PS2 games

Discussion in 'PS2' started by EmJay50, Mar 1, 2004.

1. EmJay50

EmJay50 Member

I tried to find this using the search and was unsuccessful. So I am posting it.

What is the best media for backing up PS2 games? Is it better to have darker backs or lighter backs?

Thanks in advance

2. viper8437

viper8437 Regular member

this has been answered in tons of posts...did a quick search and found over 10 different thread dealing with this topic so next time actually use the search feature

best media, dont know ur version or what ype of buner u have, but dvd-r is the perferred media. but i use +R and anything carrying the ricoh dye is a good brand (sony, fujifilm, TDK, ritek)

3. Cyprien

Cyprien Active member

the purple dye was made by ritek... few brands use them aswell.. like silver line they use ritek dye...

TDK ritek are the best you can find but sometimes it's the burner choice...

4. EmJay50

EmJay50 Member

I am using Piodata disks that are dvd-r. They have a purple dye on them. backing up my DVD movies is simple and it works, but as for games, it doesn't. I have a pioneer dvr-106D burner. Any suggestions as to why they dont work?

5. billz

billz Active member

do you have a mod?

6. EmJay50

EmJay50 Member

I have the magic swap disks ver. 3.0.

7. Velesco

Velesco Member

I use the cheap CompUSA discs. Never had any problems.

8. EmJay50

EmJay50 Member

ok, i tried to backup my copy of Tony Hawk Underground. When the swap disk loads the game after the swap, it glows green around the corners, then blue. The title screen comes up and that's it. I remember burning it at 4X. Is that too fast? I also used Nero and performed a copy, but not on the fly. Is there something else I should do or know about?

9. EmJay50

EmJay50 Member

ok, i just read at the website that the colors do have significant meanings.

Green means the backups is OK, but Swap Magic is having trouble reading/ understanding the disc but goes ahead anyway. If the game plays, then ok.. If not, the most common problem is simply the use of bad quality CD-R or DVD-R media. Copy the backup to a better disc, and it should work. This is a general problem with all backup solutions. People are not using good quality media.

Blue means The backups is OK, and ready to boot. The game should work - if not, there is simply no way to play that particular game using the Slide-Tool. You will properly need a Magic 3.1 mod chip to play that game.

I just thought I'd add his for anyone who needed it.
    Obviously for my case it must be the disks. I'll try some new ones, just not looking foward to forking out the new $$.

10. keefy_tee

keefy_tee Guest

I use the orange Bulkpac ones from www.dvd-recordable.org.I tried to copy a few games i copyed GT3 and it was fine it works awesome
    MOH rising sun,copyed but wont load on my ps2
    then manhunt copyed it loadsa very slowley then slowley in to the game(bout 10-12 mins in all)then the game froze and i couldnt do shit with it but turn it off.So make your own mind up

11. jhatchett

jhatchett Member

So are you telling me that [bold]purple dye DOSE NOT[/bold] work. I wish I would have read that yesterday before trying to burn the same game 3 different kind of ways.

12. fenderboy

fenderboy Guest

what does purple die or silver line die mean

13. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

The dye color refers to the color of the disc. Verbatim discs usually use a deep blue or purple although it's common to see lighter colors such as aqua (green) or yellow. Generally speaking, PS2's prefer darker color discs although the newer your PS2, the more flexibility you have with regards to using cheaper brands of media. My v8 will read the cheap $.65 Princo brands although they will not play in my friends v4 console. I have to use name brands like TDK or Verbatim when making backups of his games for him.

14. mastaprk

mastaprk Regular member

[bold]EmJay50[/bold]

You want to burn at 1X for PS2 backups, otherwise the loading is extremely slow. Even at 1X, I've had slow loading (especially w/ NFL Street). I will probably end up getting a solder chip. Ritek G04 is highly recommend for back ups. I have had decent results w/ Piodata though.

15. aXidburn

aXidburn Guest

i use memorex + and - and they work great....any one know what dye they have?

16. jhatchett

jhatchett Member

I'm not sure what color die Memorex has (techincally(sp)) but, the disk is purple in color. I have not been able to use Memorex meida on my V4 though.

17. Antourage

Antourage Member

I have had success with Verbatim, Memorex, Imation, and cheap no brand(on occasions)-/+R

I have had problems ironically with Sony DVD-R

18. convolute

convolute Regular member

I use the cheap princo with my v7, SMDs and they work fine, although most backups seem to load the green border first for a split second and then the blue border pops up.

I've heard memorex uses whatever is the cheapest they can find so their media is not always the same and fluxuates.