1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best media once & for all

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by movies27, Feb 19, 2005.

1. movies27

movies27 Regular member

I want the best media but i dont want to order anything ...the choices i have are Fuji,Phillips,Memorex,Sony,TDK,and Maxell...someone please tell me once & for all which 1 of these is the best for movies>?????

2. kchev

kchev Regular member

made in Japan Fuji's with TY media code

3. vatsim5

vatsim5 Member

We cannot honestly answer your question as all of the
    name brands that you are mentioning may be manufactured
    by different companies. As an example, I have seen
    Memorex made by CMC and by Richo. I have seen Sony made
    by Sony and by Tayio Yuden, so it really depends on who
    makes the blanks you want to buy.
    All I can say from lots of personal experience and from the opinion of most members on here is that
    Taiyo Yuden (manufacturer) are the best media out there
    in all areas. Hope this helps. Zeide

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Anything made in JAPAN!
    If buying at a local store, Just look at the outer wrappers for those words.Tdk/fuji/maxell/and sony have some of their media made there,you just have to look.
    Mitsubishi chemical corporation are also very good:mcc

Maxell's are pretty good,all their manufacturers are decent to great quality,especially the -4x yellowtops. Some of those yellowtops are ty-go1 and mxl-rg02,both made in japan.They do have another manufacturer for their yellowtops:ritek. Still pretty good.

That's the hard thing about media,different manufactures-different quality levels for the same brand name. That's why Ty's are highly recommended.

Good Luck with your quest!

5. RedRum21

RedRum21 Guest

i use beall i haven't ever used tayio yuden before are they really that good ?? i have had really good experiences with verbatim, but over all i prefer beall media.

more info on this tayio yuden media

6. jacsac

jacsac Regular member

I have been using the sony 1x-8x dvd+r lately. They have been TY's. Stay away from phillips and memorex cause you never know who made em. I bought some phillips awhile back and they were cmc mag. Those are the ones I use for everybody else.

7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Japan or Japan so either way Sony is Japan!

My Sony DVD-R 8X can on NEC or Asus burners go up to 16X. Not one coaster, ever!!!!

Sony DPR47/120 DVD+R 2.4x (RICOHJPNR00)
    Sony DPW47/120 DVD+RW 2.4x (RICOHJPNW01)
    Sony DVD+R 2.4x (RICOHJPNR00)
    Sony DVD+R 4x (RICOHJPNR01)
    Sony DVD+RW (RICOHJPN W01)
    Sony DVD-R 2x (SONY)
    Sony DVD-R 4x (MCC 01RG20)
    Sony DVD-R 4x (SONY04D1)
    Sony DVD-R 8x (SONY08D1)

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey Scubabud: Most of the sony I have tried are made in taiwan.

Sony +4x = ricohjpn-01: Made in taiwan, seem ok
    Sony -4x = MCC-01rg-20: Made in taiwan, -50% coaster rate.Burned 1 out of 2,gave them away.
    Sony +4x = Sony04D1: Made in taiwan, decent
    sony +4x = Sony04d1: Made in Austria, same code as the ones in taiwan,That's why I will stay away from.Those were given to me,I wouldn't pay $ for them.

Here's some that's not on your list:
    Sony +1-8x = SONYD11: Made in taiwan,working flawless.
    Sony +1-8x = Yuden000-T02:Made in Japan,perfect.

I also can get 16x out of the sony +1-8x,both from japan and taiwan.

I haven't messed with the sony -8x, I got 2 Plus format burners and 1 dual format.

Are the sony -8x made in japan or both japan and taiwan?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  9. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Thanks for all of you all replies.I bought a 5pk of Phillips & Maxell.The reason I asked was because a couple of movies I've made work fine on my home dvd player but when I let my friend view them on their player they say that 1 or 2 parts of the movies pauses.I was thinking it was a media problem since it plays fine on my dvd player...any thoughts????

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

saugmon

The only Sony that I use is the one on the bottom of my sig which is the SONY08D1 DVD-R 8X. I was told that they are only Japan. But now that you mention others are made elsewhere, then I cannot be sure anymore. I do know that they were on the top of my burners list as recommended media for it and even when I burn with compression a full disk without foreign audio at 16x it was also flawless. (SharkTales) Custom compression on everything other then the movie also. Just had to try it once. :)

The other list I showed was a copy and paste from a complete list that I got off here showing the other Sony available. I also was told that when they have “jpn” in the media code they are Japan media for sure but again, you also said that Sony +4x = ricoh”jpn”-01 was made in Taiwan and it also shows “jpn”.

I give up now. :)

I just did a search on the net and everything I found so far suggests that the Sony DVD-R SONY08D1 are made in Japan.

There was talk that some of Sony's DVD+R are made both in Taiwan and Japan.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  11. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Movies27,Use the maxell's.You might want to be cautious of those phillips-may have to burn slower.

Did you get the dash or plus format?
    There can be a difference of quality on that same brand when switching to the opposite format.

You said 1 or 2 parts of the movie Pauses:
    Is there a certain area of the movie like beginning,middle,ending,or it just varies throughout?
    What programs are you using to rip,compress,and burn?

Hey scubabud, I've go a whole slew of different media with the; RICOHJPN-01,most were in the +4x and all were made in taiwan.Even those Teon +8x in the 20 pack spinle had that code. They are working pretty good. I burned quite a few sony +4x -ricohjpno1 in my tv home burner.I only got this code on the 10 packs with jewel cases,in which I bought about 8 of them a year ago. I have tried a lot of different "on sale" media and have not yet run into cmags.

Dogbomb's source left out quite a few media codes that I used,but it is very handy.

MCC is always sounds like most of them are made in japan. I haven't run across any of them yet. I ran into mcc002/mcc003/ricohjpn-01/mcc01rg20- all from taiwan.

12. movies27

movies27 Regular member

Saugmon I always get the dvd+r and the pauses vary on the movie or 99% of the time they're none at all but they play fine on my home dvd player.I use Icopy dvd & dvd43free....but if a movie won't let me copy it using that i always use dvd95 copy or either dvd shrink.