1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best media

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by chiefwoo, Oct 25, 2004.

1. chiefwoo

chiefwoo Member

I just got a pioneer 108 burnner from newegg and was using nero (6.3.1.6) to burn movies, however everytime i try to verify the dvd using nero it gives me errors. I have burnned 10 dvd-r and everytime the video plays but there is some spots where it frezzes in the play back. i used a cd/dvd diognostic tool (infinadyne) and it gives me tons of errors (no errors when testing cds burned from my old burnner) i believe that the error is caused by the media, so my question is: what is the best media to use with the pioneer 108 also where is the best place to get them. (i was using come ritek ridata G04 (4x silver matte general purpose bought from meritline) i want to test it with differnt media. if the media is not the problem then any advice would help thank you very much.

2. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

chiefwoo,
    Try burning your G04's at 2x. IMO Ritek G04 media is starting to vary a little in quality from batch to batch. The first batch I had all performed great when burned at 4x, but my last batch the only way I could get acceptable performance was to burn them at 2x and even then there was no guarantee. I have switched to Ritek dvd+r's (Ricohjpn R01) with excellent results. I now will use nothing else. I also recommend buying from Newegg as opposed to Meritline. I've bought from both but the media seems to be more consistant from Newegg. Welcome to AD.

3. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... According to DigitalFAQ.com, Ritek G04 is media that should be avoided and that it is being phased out ... go to this link, scroll down until you almost get to the bottom, look for the "Deals to avoid" written in red ... the second entry tells it all ...

http://www.digitalfaq.com/thisweek.htm

... Also .. I agree with Mort81, the RiDATA branded Ritek DVD+R R01 media made by RICOHJPN is top notch stuff ... I've used 100s and the only coasters were due to the fact that I didn't have any RW discs and I was experimenting ...

4. chiefwoo

chiefwoo Member

thanks for the advice but looking at some post on newegg they say that when you buy dvd r you might get locky and get Ricohjpn R01 while some people are getting Ricohjpn R03 whats the differnce

5. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

Didn't you mean Ritek R03 instead of Ricohjpn R03? Ricohjpn R01's are made by Ritek, you might say Riteks tools and Ricohs blueprints. Ritek R03's do not perform as well as the Ricoh's when speedhacked (burning at a faster speed than the media is rated). IMO they are both good media, but I always hope I get the Ricoh's as I like to burn them at 8x.

6. loginpc1

loginpc1 Member

7. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

That may be true, and most people will agree that actually Taiyo Yuden is the BEST, but why pay all that money for media when I'm getting excellent results with Ricohjpn R01's? I just purchased a 100 pk for $30 US fedex shipping included.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... Although the RICOHJPN R01 and the Ritek R03 both look the same with the giant arrow pointing to the right, you can easily tell the difference just by feeling the edge of the disc. The Ritek R03 has a rougher feel to it while the RICOHJPN R01 has a much smoother feel to it. All in all, it just feels like it has been manufactured more carefully. I know that SuperMediaStore is currently shipping RICOHJPN R01, but my last batch from NewEgg (3 months ago for me) was Ritek R03. Other than the smoother edges, the R01 and the R03 both seem to give me the same satisfactory results.

9. loginpc1

loginpc1 Member

"You get what you pay for"
    I just purchased 2 spindles of 50 pieces of DVD-R Disks for $25.00 each from Best buy on sale, that is $0.50 a Disk. That is a bargain price for top quality DVD Disk. Besides if you intend to Archive DATA on DVD disk, or keep a movie for a while, you are better off with a good quality disk like Mitsui or Maxell because they have superior longevity and are more resilient to environmental exposure and misuse.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  10. RicTheRed

RicTheRed Guest

Chiefwoo,
    Have you tried your disks in other players? Maybe your player is picky.
    I do not recommend +R disks with this burner, because it lacks the bitsetting feature.

I have this burner and ridata G04 are burning with good results (90%) and excellent compatibility with other players (5/5 tested).

11. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

chiefwoo,
    Since you are haveing problems with the G04's and if you don't want to experiment with some dvd+r's, another mid-priced media you could try is prodisc dvd-r. I've never used them but some folk really like em. Stay away from retail store branded media and memorex.

12. catfreak

catfreak Active member

13. loginpc1

loginpc1 Member

14. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

WOW catfreak, that is an excellent deal. 100 Yudens w/ cases for $55. Good going.

15. eric545

eric545 Regular member

I've recently found some 8X media at www.allmediaoutlet.com in California that is as cheap as some 4X DVD-R media that that I’ve purchased. The media is PowerMatrix 8X White Top DVD-Rs. When I used Roxio Easy Media Creator 7 to backup some DVD movies, Roxio identified the media as 12X . When I use that media in my Pioneer DVR-108 16X Dual Layer Burner, it actually burned at 12X, and only cost around thirty cents each (around $ 64.00 for 200 disc’s). I have no idea how this media will perform in other burners, but for me they have been outstanding.

16. Mort81

Mort81 Senior member

eric545,
    What is the media code or MID of that media your so proud of? Who actually makes it?