1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best media ?

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by NSA187, Jan 9, 2005.

1. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

what is the best brand of dvd+r to use ??? and if anybody knows where can i find them to purchase online ???

2. Whitfield

Whitfield Regular member

There are several good brands of media--stay away from Memorex--One of the best is Ritek-(Ridata branded)also Sony, Verbatim Data-life and Maxell are generally excellent--They can be purchased at Supermedia Store online and also Meritline (also online0--Generally good media can be had for less than 50 cents/disk in packs of 50 or so--Hope this helps.

Whitfield

3. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

found Ritek Ridata G04 4X DVD-R Media Matte Finish with Ridata

and Ritek Ridata G04 4X DVD-R 4.7GB White Inkjet Printable

i only stick to 4x if i go over i get back ups with glictches, which one of these are better, i want the kind i am able to write on with a marker to label my backed up dvds

also should i stick with + or - ? i take notice there i sno g04 media for +

4. NSA187

NSA187 Regular member

is this kind of brand compatible with a sony dru 530a burner and most dvd players ?

5. J_man

J_man Regular member

Both kinds are fine and can be written on with a cd/dvd marker. As for (+ or -)Sony's like (+R) media best.
    I have a DRU-710A and use Verbatim 8X+R Branded media.
    No coasters with 75 burns so far.
    Here is a previous posting on Media matches for Hardware.

DVD+R and DVD+RW

DVD+R and DVD+RW formats are supported by Philips, Sony, Hewlett-Packard, Dell, Ricoh, Yamaha and others.
    DVD+R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R. A DVD+R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time.

DVD+RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW. The data on a DVD+RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a +R/+RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-R, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM

These formats are supported by Panasonic, Toshiba, Apple Computer, Hitachi, NEC, Pioneer, Samsung and Sharp. These formats are also supported by the DVD Forum.
    DVD-R is a recordable DVD format similar to CD-R and DVD+R. A DVD-R can only record data once and then the data becomes permanent on the disc. The disc can not be recorded onto a second time. There also are two additional standards for DVD-R disks: DVD-RG for general use, and DVD-RA for authoring, which is used for mastering DVD video or data and is not typically available to the general public.

DVD-RW is a re-recordable format similar to CD-RW or DVD+RW. The data on a DVD-RW disc can be erased and recorded over numerous times without damaging the medium.

DVDs created by a -R/-RW device can be read by most commercial DVD-ROM players.

DVD-RAM discs can be recorded and erased repeatedly but are only compatible with devices manufactured by the companies that support the DVD-RAM format. DVD-RAM discs are typically housed in cartridges.

6. gatlin01

gatlin01 Member

Hiya, well I`m a newbie here!
    If I want to burn dvd movies etc day after tomorrow, what would be a good media to use, atm im using MEMOREX -r and -rw and having bad situation, either home player says no disc, cd-da, or freezes up in middle of movie.
    out of 3 players 2 would play the dvd using dvd+rw. so been testing dvd -r and got one movie to burn correctly, maybe my burner speed wasnt set right, i just set it to 2.4 and trying now.
    DVD Burner:ARTEC dvd +/- rw
    support formats +rw, +r, -5, -9, -rom, cd-da, -r, -rw, etc, etc
    so any info will help me out alot.
    Ok, just got done burning a +r verbatim dvd and atm looks very promising, i used shrink 3.2 and nero 6.6 at burn speed of 2.4!
    keeping fingers cross

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  7. whirlble

whirlble Member

Hey J_man, do you mean that the sony dru 710a has better success with the +r than the -r?

8. J_man

J_man Regular member

gatlin01,
    read this thread completely (Whitfield comments on Media.)
    whirlble,
    In my experience I would have to say yes.
    Are the dvd players (Dvd+R+RW-R-RW)compatiable you are trying to use.
    As stated above certain brands work better with certain media.

9. babayaga

babayaga Member

Why should we stay away from Memorex???

10. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Moved.

11. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Because memorex is made by many different bad manufacturers and the people here who have trouble with them should tell you something. Why not pay an extra few cents per disc and get near perfect results? Usually in the long run you save money by not getting many coasters if any. I prefer brands like maxell or sony, and have had success with Fujifilm and Kodak despite some bad things said about them here. I find that if I buy maxell on sale (they are always on sale) they are cheaper then just about any discs including memorex and the results are perfect, in fact I have burnt probably over 800 discs and only had 1 coaster and thats only because of a power outage in the middle of a burn. So you can take the advise of pretty much everyone here and stay away from memorex or you can wait and you will get a bad batch and have nothing but trouble.

12. CG_Gurl80

CG_Gurl80 Guest

I don't profess to know more about the different media brands than the next person so I will only speak from my own personal experience.

I have burned with Memorex, GQ, Philips, Verbatim and E-Gear so far. I also have Sony and TDK at my disposal but have yet to test them out. The bottom line for me so far, the results are all satisfactory. I know Memorex gets a bad rap, and perhaps I've just been fortunate that my burned discs have come out okay, but I have had no problem with them whatsoever.

I say, test them all out if you can afford to, DVD's are always on sale somewhere. Eventually you will find your favorite brand and decide for yourself what works best for you. Cheers!

13. aabbccdd

aabbccdd Guest

i been using fugifilm and sony. and had pretty good luck with both brands you can usally get them on sale for about 39.95 for 100 pack..but do you guys think the RITEK are better ? there about the same price as the store brands on the media superstore site and free shipping and no tax buying them off the net.so?

14. sean5775

sean5775 Regular member

Alot of people lately have been complaining about ritek declining in quality, I still think they are good but if you get a bad batch you also have to pay to ship them back and wait even longer. Why wouldnt you just stick with sony and fujifilm if they work for you.