1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mod option for my busted V4 situation

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Ashane, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Ashane

Ashane Guest

I have a GT3 edition V4 PS2 console, and I'm eagerly contemplating what would be the best option for having a modded system. My console does get DREs very frequently.

What I want to be able to do is install a hard drive in the console, so I don't want a slim PSTwo. I also want to play PSX and PS2 backups. I don't want to use it for movies. Here's what I'm considering:

1) Ship my V4 console to madisonmods.com to get the laser replaced and a DMS4 Pro installed. Total with shipping: $195

2) Get a premodded PS2 that's a factory refurbished system V9 or V10 with a DMS4 Pro at madisonmods.com. Total with shipping: $280

3) Buy a new laser and install myself with a flip top cover?

I'm wondering it's worth it to get a better model like the V9 or V10 over the V4. Does the V4 have a less expected life span? Is the laser the only part of the hardware that I need to worry about being degraded, or is my console not worth fixing? I've had it for about 3 years.

2. sly_61019

sly_61019 Senior member

1 and 3. best options
    2. thats an outrageous price for a refurbished ps2

Have you tried cleaning and tweaking your laser?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2005