1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Movie Burner??

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by xkk10, Jan 2, 2005.

1. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

hi,
    i have the Plextor PX-716A CD/DVD Burner (dual layered). What is good software that i can use to burn movies that i have downloaded onto my computer?

thanx in advance

2. scf_au

scf_au Regular member

What kind of files do you have?

3. MarkNZ

MarkNZ Regular member

4. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Well as said before it depends on what video format you download and then what format you want it to be in.

But for store DVD's i suggest DVD Decrypter for ripping and DVD Shrink for encoding (Clone DVD has some nice feature that DVD Shrink dont, but DVD Shrink provides better quality in my opinion)

If rencoding from say AVI (Inc Divx & xvid) then i suggest Cinema Craft Encoder (quite simply the best affordable rencoding software you can buy).

5. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

i have avi and mpeg

6. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Well for converting to DVD, then the best encoder is Cinema Craft Encoder, you can download a trial but the full program is commercial.

There are other methods for converting, various different encoders some free most not.

You could start with the AVI to DVD guide found on this very site.

7. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

so whcih one of those programs recommended in this thread like dvd shrink and etc....(scroll up this page) will allow me to burn movies that i have downloaded onto a dvd-r?

8. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Well if you have AVI & MPEG you cant use DVD Shrink as this is only used for rencoding complete DVD's

As i said you will need a rencoder, the best being Cinema Craft Encoder.

9. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

and after using the Cinema Craft Encoder what will i use to burn the movie onto one disc?

10. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

i downloaded cinema craft encoder, and it wouldnt let me encode my movies..my movies are in avi format and mpeg. what software is good for burning my movies that i have downloaded onto a dvd-r disc?

11. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Try WinAVI Video Converter or
    NVE short for Nero Vision Express

Both work well and are much cheaper and more user friendly than Cinema Craft Encoder

12. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

will WinAVI let me burn the movies i encoded with it?

13. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

You will need to author a DVD as Cinema Craft Encoder will create a video & audio file.

For authoring a DVD i use DVD Lab

If converting AVI to DVD i suggest you search on the net for DVD2SVCD using the DSRoba plug in as with this it can create a DVD image for you, although it will not have a menu.

The above method is the best i have found for converting AVI to DVD and it does it quicker using a excellent method, which reduces the encoding time considerable.

If you need any help with this method drop me a PM and i will sort you out with what you need.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  14. brobear

brobear Guest

Cinema Craft Encoder is made easy by using jdobbs beta program Rebuilder. You'll see it listed here on AD as RB/CCE. Vurbal wrote a good guide for the setup and there's plenty of help if you check it out. That is top of the line for encoding and you can get the CCE Basic for around $50. Basic uses the same engine as the $2000 SP; it just doesn't have as many bells and whistles and is limited to 2 passes and the SP will do many more. However with SP over 3 or 4 is a waste of time. So, the purchase of Basic is quite a bargain.

The latest versions of Rebuilder can be had for a small donation. Otherwise you can have the free public version which is an earlier release than the donors. Currently v.69 is out to the public and v.70 is out to the donors. For about $65 to $70 you can have a setup for encoding that rivals software costing thousands of dollars.

For the best retail recording app that is also fast, you can't beat DVDCopy3 from InterVideo. You can use the free DVD Decrypter to rip the files and DVDCopy3 encodes and burns the ripped files from the hard drive. Another alternative is using AnyDVD as the decrypter and burn on the fly with DVDCopy3. I have several programs loaded on my PC and have access to others, but those mentioned here are the ones I use most and are personal favorites.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2005
  15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

Totally agree with brobear!

RB/CCE is unbeatable. Compression of 50% looks like the original!

I also concur on DvdCopy3, fast and good, 30-45 minutes using anydvd in the background, quality up to 40% compression unmatched by anyone, except RB/CCE of course,LOL.

16. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

I have yet to try out DVD Rebuilder, plan to at some point though.

But as stated for the cost you can not beat the quality that CCE gives over other encoders (Just a shame it is not the easiest software to use but o.k for veteran like me, but could be daunting to a new user.

17. xkk10

xkk10 Guest

what does authoring a dvd mean?

18. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Authoring is when you make your own DVD, i.e add menus, scene selections, chapters etc.

Hope that explains it briefly

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

But as stated for the cost you can not beat the quality that CCE gives over other encoders (Just a shame it is not the easiest software to use

Actually RB/CCE is one of the easiest apps to use there is. Once set up you only browse to the ripped movie and hit "Transcode". That's it, you are finished. When it is completed you takes those files and burn to DVD using an app like Nero, Copy to Dvd, etc. RB operates CCE basic by itself so you don't even have to open it.

The setup can be a little intimidating, but there are plenty of us here to help with that and you only have to set it up once. Vurbal's guide includes links to all the software needed plus an excellent guide for setting it up.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2005
  20. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

Yes the DSRoba method i use is easy once setup, but as a seperate program CCE is not as easy on the eye as say TMPGEnc, but the time & effort to learn yields much better results.