1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Movie Ever...

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Seraphim6, Feb 25, 2004.

1. forkman

forkman Member

Thanks Nephilim have seen the Seven samurai and Yojimbo,Iwil have look out Hidden fortress.
    Anybody ever seen the Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai?

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I love that movie!! The music at the end is awesome :D

3. forkman

forkman Member

Yeah it all came back to me after reading this thread, did they ever make a second movie?

4. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I still haven`t seen this, I was going to see it but the theatre`s roof caved in. According to:
    http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/q12.html
    THe sequel Buckaroo Banzai against the world crime league was never made. So you just have the original. This site has a lot of info on it!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.figmentfly.com/bb/bbindex.shtml

Nephilim what did you think of Ikiru? Should it be in the top 100?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]I am not a number
    I am a Free Man[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2004
  5. Nephilim

Haven't watched it yet, I've been feeling cruddy from a cold and can't concentrate properly on a movie this way :(

6. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

hhmm well just a quick post to start more debate
    1 godfather trilogy
    2 great escape [ because most movie actors of that genre were in it ] try n do it now

you couldnt to much contract bullshit

3 terminator 2 hhhmmm ok before ya start lmao .......I personally think that the SE of T2 took cinema to a new level ......and the story as I think was prettty cool 2

whats this top 250 stuff??

7. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

2001 a space odyessy
    awesome movie and spectacular special effects for 68'

it also gave lucas and speilburg and many others ideas.

8. radiofree

radiofree Member

2001 was definitely great - but Blade Runner was by far the most outstanding SciFi movie ever, as well as being in the top 10 for any movie class ever. It even feels current if it doesn't look totally current.

Ray Bradbury said SciFi is the only genre that can take anything from anywhere and say anything without restriction. I love it...

9. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

why does everyon love blade runner? i thought it was OK- but everyone acts like its a piece of cinema art. Am i missing something here? I seriously think i missed some kind of inner plot in the movie, or that everyone else thinks there is one. i thought it was a rental worthy film noir scifi- but not a clssic. what did i miss.

10. Nephilim

DaOst, the top 250 are at the most comprehensive movie database on line here:

http://imdb.com/top_250_films

pcshateme, some folks just don't get the mystique of and insinuations made in Blade Runner.

11. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

well i guess so, i mean i understood 2001 and know one else seems to understand it-

12. radiofree

radiofree Member

I think the movie hit me at a right time, right place kind of way. I enjoyed it the best this way: saw the movie, read the book, saw the movie. It can really add some depth to all the subtlety that Blade Runner has...besides, the book has a parallel but slightly different story to tell. Hey, whatever floats your boat though, right?

13. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

yep. i guess so. everyone has different tastes

14. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

thanxs Nephilim will have to see how many dvd's I need to buy to own the top 250 ....Bladerunner I thought was a sci fi classic also but alot who saw the film didn't really like it for some reason

in bladerunner was harrison ford actually a replicant to ? there was a documentary about it on channel 4 a couple of years back that was actually ment to tell ya but I missed it

15. Nephilim

As far as I know it was always alluded to but never really confirmed one way or another. I never saw the documentary either. That's part of the allure of Blade Runner - it keeps you guessing after watching it :)

I'm of the opinion that he was, all the pics on his piano, his unusual compassion for Rachael and the fact that he was so good at spotting (other) replicants - takes one to know one, eh?

Anyone ever watch "Man Bites Dog"? That was a pretty wild flick.

16. forkman

forkman Member

I've often wondered if Bladerunner would have been so good if Vangellis had not done the score,I mean its the music along with the sfx that makes it so moody.

17. pcshateme

pcshateme Guest

i think its a combination of that and the rainy dreary weather.

18. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

2001 I didn`t think was that great. Stanley Kubrick has done a lot better with Shinning, Full Metal Jacket and clockwork orange. 2001 was pretty boring and I didn`t think it really sold the point.

For Blade runner, that was an amazing film. But only if your talking Directors cut. The voice over was very annoying. There should definetly be less voice overs!

DaOst, Great escape was great film. I like Steve Mcqueen jumping the fence. But if you watch the comments on the film, he was quite irritating to work with. For T2, I agree the SE version is good. I bought it recently on the Extreme Edition. this isn`t bad. Very similar to the Ultimate Edition, but since thats out of print I had to get the Extreme one. The Extreme DVD version is garbage, you miss out on some special features and it doesn`t have the Directors commentary.

19. Nephilim

How about best comedies?

My votes:
    Planes, Trains And Automobiles
    Raising Arizona
    Half Baked

20. Bitcount

Bitcount Guest

I liked Aliens, 2010 (not a typo, the sequal to 2001). The Thing with Kurt Russle (the movie, not Goldie Hawn). And all 3 Evil Dead movies

Honorable mentions go to: LOTR:ROTK, Event Horizon and the matrix trilogy (you might not all agree with that last one, but i like sci-fi)

As for Comedy: Bruce Almighty, Spaceballs, and the greatest of all time: Ferris Bueller's day off.