1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best movie format for burning ?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cool4cats, Nov 12, 2007.

1. cool4cats

cool4cats Member

Ok thanks Ripper. That's something handy to remember, if it opens in WMP it is not dvd compliant and so needs to be converted.

I have Nero with my burner and so will check to see what that does .. otherwise I'll use the software Rotary suggested.

Thanks again.

2. cool4cats

cool4cats Member

I am using Virtuldub to brighten my movie file and it is gobbling up my hard drive space at the rate of knots !! I only had 6gb spare and it's already down to 2.18gb and the dubbing is only up to 5% !!

Am I doing something wrong ? Should I have selected a compression in options in Virtualdub ? I left it as uncompressed.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

You need to select Direct stream copy - compression should be XVid MPEG-4.

4. cool4cats

cool4cats Member

Ok thanks .. then after it has finished brightening, do I still need to convert the file to make it dvd compliant ?

5. cool4cats

cool4cats Member

I have managed to brighten the file and then choose the settings you said I should use, I then save as avi to my desktop and a copy of the supposed edited movie file is there ... but when I open it up it is the saem as the original - still dark.

What am I doing wrong ?!! I preview the movie whilst in dubbing mode and can see that it's ok to go ... so I must be doing something wrong in the saving process - please help !

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i think you will find its full processing mode not direct stream copy?

direct stream copy is used in joining 2 avi i beleieve

to find your output your asked when you SAVE AS to name the newly to be created file (at this same point set compresion xvid mpeg4 codec), so search the name you typed for the file on your pc.

and after you need to go from avi to dvd (if thats what you need?) with an app like convertXtoDVD

Last edited: Nov 14, 2007
  7. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Yep you're right, sorry ^.~

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

yo ripper hows it hanging....

9. cool4cats

cool4cats Member

Thanks to Rotary, Ripper and whoever else helped in my first attempt at converting and burning a movie file.

I am pleased to say that it has been a success !! The movie itself is actually in widescreen which I didn't know about, but it is still watchable ... the movie is slightly blurred/grainy but this could be the quality of the discs I used, they are VERY cheap discs !

As Rotary said I need to use good quality discs, I am sure this would give better results. So I am off to buy some decent discs.

Again thanks to everyone for your invaluable help, I was a total dvd burning virgin and so was utterly lost and confused !

xxx

10. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

the better quailty dvdr media ONLY! helps you make sure that the end product a burnt dvd will be playable. it wont make any difference on video quality of the film, that is down to the avi you first have! and dont forget if an avi is just about watchable as avi, when converted to dvd files thats a couple of losses in quailty, from the initial avi you had, so every time you change what it was to something expect quailty loss, so best to have a very good avi to start with...

now you can aid the qauilty slightly, by useing the best encoders to do the job, basically without going into major detail, convertxtodvd is one BADA$$ MOFO.... ;-]