1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best MP3 Ripper for Ipod

Discussion in 'Audio' started by SIKOE, Mar 24, 2005.

1. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yes thats about average time for a CD rip. it depends on how long the CD is, and how scratched it is. When you rip, is there a black box that says lame encoder popping up? if so, then it is compressing to mp3. What size are the files? make sure they're being stored in the right directory as well.

2. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

I dont see ablack box, but I have a box that says extracting audio data. Do I use external program for compression? All of the disc's so far are in very good shape. I am also missing the tags for these files.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

got to EAC > compression options > external compression tab. Make sure the use external compression box is checked, and make sure that EAC is pointed to the right directory/file for lame below. Below that is a box for add ID3 tag, and make sure that is checked as well

4. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

What do I put for parameter passing scheme and additional command line options?

5. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Parameter Passing Scheme is LAME MP3 Encoder.

command line is: --alt-preset standard. there are others too, like extreme and so forth.

6. diabolos

diabolos Guest

It doesn'tsound like you "followed" the guide at all. Are you aware that you need to have the LAME.exe and that the external executable not EAC that creates the Mp3 files? EAC rips a (perfect) WAV then tells the LAME encoder to encode that WAV to an Mp3.

You have the LAME.exe right?
    Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2005
  7. djscoop

djscoop Active member

lol I like your quote.

yeah, like diabolos said, review the guide. Yes, its a pain cause there's quite a few steps, but read it completely and follow the instructions and you should do fine. Pretty much everything you need to know is covered in the guide.

8. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I didn't mean to sound like an ars (SIKOE) but the guide is prety straight forward. My only gripes with it is that it doesn't say anything useful about the alt preset settings. It also could say to save the .CFG [bold]profiles[/bold] in the profiles folder (I think the profiles folder may be a relativly new and trivial thing but it may confuse newbies).

My favorite LAME command line argument right now is: [bold]-h -v -b 256 --alt-preset extreme[/bold] It sounds good to my ears!

Regards,
    Ced

9. djscoop

djscoop Active member

hey Ced maybe thats a sign for you and I to upgrade the guide. it is a year or two old anyways. what do ya think?

10. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

Thanks! I think I got it now. So what advice can you give to a person who is thinking about getting into the pro audio field? And what type of music do you spin? I also DJ.

11. djscoop

djscoop Active member

yeah its funny my name here is still djscoop, yet I haven't DJ'd for almost three years now. I used to DJ weddings, off of a pretty sweet computer setup with dual soundcards and the whole shabang. I loved doing weddings, mainly because they were extremely easy (pretty much the same songs everytime), money was great, everyone was always in a good mood, and best of all, open bar!

The past two years I have been teaching audio production at a local college where I live. If you're looking into getting into the pro audio field thats the best way to go. I took classes years ago, learned alot, became good friends with the RTVF (radio television film) department, so when a job opening came up I jumped at the opportuniy.

So look into your local community colleges and see what they offer. For the price of courses its a gold mine of knowledge. I've been specializing in digital computer recording/editing using a program called Pro Tools, which is pretty much the standard for the entertainment industry. Okay, sorry to go on and on about myself, but the moral of the story is I was just a lonely DJ once, and now I get to help others in the professional field, which is awesome. So if you're interested enough in the field its easy to go far. Just like everything else out there, just find your niche and what you like to do. Whether its DJ, post-production editing, live band recording, field sound recording, foley...the list goes on and on. There's something for everybody in audio.

12. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

Damn! I don't know why , but I am acting like a real newb right now! It's not like this is my first forum, but I just found the tiny little 2 in the corner telling me that there is a second page to my post.lol Thanks for the advice and help with this program. Both of you. No offense taken, I expected people to be frustrated with my newb questions. lol So diablo you say that -h -v -b 256 --alt-preset extreme would give me some quality sound? And would I put this in the additional command line options? As far as the guide, It is a little complicated and unless I missed it, it never tells me to use external prog for compression, but it did say:

With the correct .CFG file selected, please be sure you are pointing EAC to the LAME executable. [bold]if you saved lame.exe to your C:\Program Files\Exact Audio Copy\ directory you won't have to change anything.[/bold]Otherwise, from the EAC Menu select compression options -> external compresion and hit the browse button. Point EAC to lame.exe and select OK.

I got a little confused. I did fallow it to a tee though and still was having problems. Oh well, thank God for forums.=)

Last edited: Mar 29, 2005
  13. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I agree djscoop. Also I'm glad to see that both of you (djscoop and SIKOE) have a since of humor! :)

Ced

14. dallak

dallak Member

15. SIKOE

SIKOE Member

WHOA!! De Javu. lol. Dallak, Read the entire post. All of your questions should be answered there. I also ran into that problem. I think this might help:
    djscoop says,
    go to EAC > compression options > external compression tab. Make sure the "use external compression" box is checked, and make sure that EAC is pointed to the right directory/file for lame below. Below that is a box for add ID3 tag, make sure that is checked as well.
    Hope this helps!!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2005
  16. dallak

dallak Member

followed instructions to a 'T', only way i got it to finally work was to change to a VBR bitrate in Compressions Setting, doesn't work with a regular bitrate.

17. diabolos

diabolos Guest

Regular bit-rates? You mean CBR instead of VBR? CBR shouldn't be used unless its the onlt thing that makes since for the situation (which is streaming audio or live broadcast recording through from analog sources.

I think your problem exist because the command line app is being told to do it using "standard" VBR ranges. If you want the LAME encoder to encode using a CBR method type in: [bold]--alt-preset cbr 192[/bold] That should do the trick!

Ced

18. Molder

Molder Regular member

djscopp,
    I said i would have a look at the Whole EAC thing and I downloaded all the progs and put everthing together as I promised I would, I gave it a little work out. I will stick with Audiograbber,it is a whole lot simpler to operate and if I'm not mistaken it give equally good sound quality results, but I'm hard of hearing (that's what the missus keeps telling me anyway).

Anyway, that is my opinion we are all different.

Thanks

M

19. djscoop

djscoop Active member

use whatever you want my friend, but once you get EAC setup and configured it is quite simple to use. Just pop in the CD, let the freedb get the CD info, click the mp3 button, and select the folder to rip to...thats it. Overall the audio quality is not as good with audiograbber. EAC offers extremely accurate ripping, where as others don't. But as long as it works and sounds good for you thats all that matters.

20. diabolos

diabolos Guest

I think EAC's WAVs sound amazing. But it needs to work on its flexibility. By that I mean that If you want to change your encoder it should remmember where it was incase you want to change back (settings and all). Thats the main issue I have with the app.

I don't know, [bold]AudioGrabber[/bold] is pretty good now that its free! Also, dBpowerAMP is has Accu-rip but I think its poorly implemented.

Ced

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2005