1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best options for saving to hard drive

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tbbd, Jan 4, 2005.

1. tbbd

tbbd Member

I used DVD Shrink and used the burn with Nero option to backup my DVDs and all worked ok. What I would like to do right now is just rip the DVDs to the hard drive so I can burn them later. Which option inside DVDShrink is the best to use (1) create an iso file and then use Nero to burn an ISO DVD or (2) create DVD files with videa and audio TS folders and then use Nero to create a DVD Video and put the right video/audio ts files in the folders?

Also, will it make any difference for either option I use?

2. deadcat

deadcat Regular member

makes no difference. they are the same. some ppl like iso coz it can be burnt with decypter and is only 1 file so is a bit neater i guess

3. brobear

brobear Guest

Use DVD Decrypter (free) in the File mode to rip to the hard drive. Shrink does okay, but Decrypter is just a bit simpler for ripping to the HD and you end up with the same file structures, File or ISO as you choose. The file method is the most widely used and allows one to edit or check individual files as necessary. This way you can leave your settings alone inside the Shrink for your auto burn setup.

4. maven1975

maven1975 Regular member

I also recommend DVD Decrypter as you can rip to folders or rip to an image if you want.

Once i have the DVD on my HD i run it through Shrink and create an ISO as one file is tidier then folders, just the way i prefer it.

Remember ISO can also be loaded into Nero if you prefer to use that for burning.

5. brobear

brobear Guest

No need to use Decrypter to rip and then use Shrink to create an ISO image. Simply use Decrypter in the ISO read mode and you have a decrypted ISO file ready to be encoded and/or burned. Shrink can use the ISO created by decrypter. I've used both the File and ISO methods and don't really see an advantage. I use Files mostly because they are easier to edit when necessary and the file system is more readily accepted by more software apps. With many recording programs, the ISO file has to be loaded in a drive emulator to be used.