1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best overall

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by marek, Oct 25, 2003.

1. marek

marek Member

Im looking into buying a DVD burner but it seems i get feedback from different sources and they all seem to have something different to say...

One thing that i am looking for is a 4x dvd burner...If possible 8x

Another thing i want to use it to back up dvd's

I was told there is a dvd burner that is a dual layer???

Last thing is should i wait for a better one that is coming out??

Please respond asap because i need one bad..thankyou later

2. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

If you want to buy something now get Pioneer 106D which has the best value / money ratio, writes 4x both DVD-R and DVD+R.

There is no dual layer DVD burners and it will take long until we see the first one, in a price we can afford.

3. marek

marek Member

so the one you listed is on top??? anyone else agree?

4. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I have the Sony 500AX and I have been very happy with it. I have backed up my entire DVD collection with no trouble. But I do agree with #afonic, the pioneer is a good choice too.

5. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

I own the Pioneer and I never wasted a blank DVD with it.

I also have a Plextor PX-708 but I have used it less than a month and I don't think the difference in the price makes it worth. It writes 8x but only the DVD-R media which are the ones you will use less.

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

@ #afonic

do you mean +R format?

thx..

PS i have the DVR106D dual format "DAM EXCELLANT"

Last edited: Oct 28, 2003
  7. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Of course! My wrong.

The Plextor writes 8x but only for DVD+R discs and not DVD-R. Of course it writes DVD-R but only at 4x. Well I got it because I needed a fast drive for data DVDs, I burn my movies with the 106D anyway.

What are you thanking me for Rotary? :)

8. marek

marek Member

Ok so the sony is not better than the pioneer?...one other thing is the pioneer and the sony both the same when it comes to riping the dvds so they will fit onto a disc? I want to get a dvd burner within a week...i would love to look at atleast 2 or 3 models of burners..so the top 2 or top 3 would be nice..sorry i am a newbie to the dvd burners...

9. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

10. marek

marek Member

I guess I am going to go with the Pioneer....

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProdu...g=5&manufactory=1167&DEPA=1&sortby=14&order=1

I believe its the first one on that list that everyone is talking about right? Please respond and let me know if it is just to make sure before I order it thankyou...BTW anyone know where I can get some good DVD Cd's for a great price ;] Thank you everyone who responded to my posts.

11. bobiroc

bobiroc Member

I purchase mine from www.allmediaoutlet.com. I have had very good luck with the Ritek brand and I think the 1x/2x are down to like $.90 ea and the 4X are like $1.25 ea. I havent tried the 4x yet though. I usually use DVD-R since they work in my Mom's Toshiba DVD Player

12. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Pioneer is the best drive out there, why taking something else?

13. marek

marek Member

#afonic...do you have a site where i can purchase the same Pioneer burner as you??? thanks cuz the one on the site i listed does not have a warrenty and comes without a box...so i rather have one with a warrenty and all...and another thing mind telling me where i can get some cheap but good DVD-RW cd's thanks...later

14. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

No, sorry I haven't bought it by a site, I bought it from a shop as I usual do.

Well you better seach to find the best price. There are some search engines to search e-shops for best prices, I think.

15. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  16. vinwiesel

vinwiesel Guest

I am certainly not going to be disagreeable to anyone who thinks pioneer is the best.

I have read things on this site that said DONT get the pioneer.

I have also read things here that said DONT get the optorite.

I don't make any claim to which is better or worse.

I am a newbie and don't have anything concrete to go by either so after an exaustive reading on this site I just decided to make a choice and if it doesn't work, then I will try another drive.

I chose the Optorite mainly because the price could not be beat ($108.50 DELIVERED US)for the RETAIL box version.

If the optorite does not work, I will be buying the pioneer for about $70 more. If that does not work then I guess I will keep searching.

What I have found to be the best for me is this:

Do all the research you can on your own. Then, come to a forum like this one and read all the past comments on the products you are considering, and ask all the questions you can about the products.

Finally, MAKE A DECISION for yourself after weighing the pros and cons and price difference etc. It is your decision (and mine) and what ultimately matters (to me at least)is that I choose myself and I don't want to blame anyone else later if their recomendations did not work for me.

I am awaiting my drive and will see what happens. I appreciate all the help I have had already (thanks ROTARY!) and all the help I will recieve later because I know the questions for me are just beginning.

Good luck with your purchase, and if it doesn't work for you, dont get discouraged, just try something else! :D here is a link to the pioneer drive from accupc.com where I ordered my optorite. this is the A06 retail box version, they also carry the 106 OEM version for about $30 less. http://www.accupc.com/itemDetail.jsp?pid=DRPIDVRA06_X_X_X_X_X_[small]vin

http://www.amazingfacts.org[/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2003
  17. #afonic

#afonic Regular member

Yeah, as I told I cannot have an opinion for a drive I do not own. I have Pionner and never had a problem with it, and I also know people with the same drive, or other Pioneer models who never had problem with it.

I have a Pioneer DVD-ROM and had not problem with it and a Pioneer stand alone DVD-player and I.... well, never had problem with it.

(I hope now Pioneer is going to rise my wage :)

18. marek

marek Member

Hey guys,
    I just bought a Sony DVD player...DVP-NS325...uhmm it says on the box DVD-RW/-R DVD+RW/+R...To me this dvd player seems to be good...I do not have a DVD burner yet and i was wondering if anyone have this dvd player and the Pioneer 106d dvd burner...Just want to know if they have any problems or what not...once again thanks for all the replys.

19. BernWern

BernWern Guest

In my opinion....

Get a TDK Indi-DVD 440N. Not only is it flawless, fast, and resonably priced, but your money isn't supporting an RIAA affiliate. Everyone talks about the Pioneer, Optorite, and Sony ones, but this one smokes them....it is also ranked in the top 5 overall multi-burners right now by consumers (last I saw it was #2). Also, TDK was the first one to release the multi-format drive in the US for consumer use, not to mention being first in many other catagories, meaning they will continue to strive for excellence. I created a seperate thread about this drive and NOBODY has complained once. So, if you read this and are cinsidering a new drive.....get the TDK Indi-DVD 440N.
    Peace,
    BernWern

20. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

hi all

@ BernWern

what are the 4 other top burners? and where can i look at the specs?

Thx......_X_X_X_X_X_[small]XP 1700 TBred [o/c 2004mhz = 12X167/33 = FSB-334mhz]
    A7V8X SATA150/RAID 2x80 gig [Bios 1012]
    HERCULES 3D PROPHET [9700 Pro]
    XMS Corsair Platinum pc3500 2x512 1024 meg
    ENERMAX PSU 550watts
    [​IMG] [/small]

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003