1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best p2p tool nowadays for free music please ?

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by _Chris_, Feb 9, 2010.

1. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Hi all, haven't been around here for a while, hope you've all been behaving yourselves ;-) What's the latest p2p best tool for d/loading music for free please ?

Thanks.

Chris

2. AfterDawn

AfterDawn Advertisement

3. philipman

philipman Regular member

Pandora is a good free streaming program that finds music based on a song or artist you type in. http://www.pandora.com/

As for free music you could search around on Rapiedshare as many people upload to it.

4. scum101

scum101 Guest

use limewire.. remember to put ALL your music and films into your share folder.. or better still put your whole drive into the share domain.

5. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Its a good idea.

6. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Thanks all for the ideas, it's appreciated. Funnily enough, I've been using Limewire Pro for a few years and it's been great, then a few weeks ago, it just gets stuck on 'starting connection', and this, apart from one day last week when it went to the usual turbo charged connection, is how it's stayed ;-( I don't d/load a lot, but sometimes need it, have googled it, and also been through the stickies on here, but can't seem to find a solution ;-( Anyone have any thoughts or ideas please ?

Any help much appreciated.

Chris

7. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

8. Dominic41

Dominic41 Member

I have used most of them down the years and I would say emule project net is the best Ive ever used.

9. Dominic41

Dominic41 Member

if you do download music if you put peer guardin on your machine, it should hide your I/p Address and make you invisible. hope that helps

10. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Many thanks for the ideas and help on this, it's appreciated.

On PG, what lists do the people here use to update it ?

11. ahclem

ahclem Guest

PeerGuardian hasn't been supported with updates in over a year. I went looking today for something similar for my son's new PC and came up with this:

http://www.peerblock.com/

PC World editor Ian Harac seems to think it's ok. Google it, then decide for yourself

12. JParkes

JParkes Regular member

Cheers man really helpful. Peerguardian's been pissin me off for a while with the inability to update. Didnt know there was a working alternative.

13. _Chris_

_Chris_ Member

Many thanks, that's appreciated - will have a close look at that.

What do the others here use for this please ? Anyone else here use peerblock ?

14. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Regular member

Its not so much which program is the best as much as it is which P2P network is the largest. eMule is a good program, it uses the eD2k aka eDonkey 2000 network but I know it can be troublesome to get it properly configured. Limewire and its open source brethren Frostwire primarily use the Gnutella network although they can search for and handle .torrents. Frostwire is fast and easy to setup. And the Gnutella network is enormous.

As far as BEST P2P program, I'd have to say Shareaza hand downs. Its ad/spy-ware free. Open source which is a plus and being actively developed; with its last update posted early this past Febuary. But what makes it really shine is it multi-network support. From there SourceForge page:

It can download from every major network.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/shareaza/

15. lanw

lanw Guest

I installed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2010
  16. lanw

lanw Guest

Originally posted by ahclem:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PeerGuardian hasn't been supported with updates in over a year. I went looking today for something similar for my son's new PC and came up with this:

http://www.peerblock.com/

PC World editor Ian Harac seems to think it's ok. Google it, then decide for yourself
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I installed peerguardian, peerblock and beethink ip blocker. Only beethink never crashed.
    http://www.beethink.com

17. mrpete

mrpete Member

COULD BE DANGEROUS - First, I don't use Limewire which means I could be wrong about this first bit. Putting your whole drive into the share could be rather dangerous. That sounds like it means that anyone in the world can look at every single file on your computer. That's not what I would want to happen.

If you're gonna use Limewire it sounds like a good idea to share all the stuff you've downloaded. Just beware of sharing your emails, tax returns, etc. (your whole drive) with the everybody on the planet.

Personally I use uTorrent for my P2P needs. The most recent versions of uTorrent have a new feature called uTP that allows all users of those versions to connect to each other (while on a torrent) even if they are firewalled. That works for me.

I also use Rapidshare/Megaupload/etc/etc. There are tons of services like this. Rapidshare is by far the biggest. It can be a good way to get stuff from blogs and other folks who share using these services.

18. PeaInAPod

PeaInAPod Regular member

A bit of overkill don't you think? Especially since PeerGuardian and Peerblock use the exact same lists? And PeerBlock is itself a newer (active developed) version of PeerGuardian 2?

19. Nelmeco

Nelmeco Regular member

Rapidshare and Megaupload alongside with jDownloader. Find a good "forum" site with links. Load em up in jDownloader and go for it.

20. winnipoo

winnipoo Member

limewire is shut down..

21. ps355528

ps355528 Regular member

15 feb to 12 april for somebody to come along who didn't understand I was being sarcastic ;)

Now limewire (the mpaa/riaa's friend) has been closed down (don't understand why really.. it was their best trap to catch people downloading/uploading anybody could have ever invented) I need a new way to trap n00bs into seeding my botnets...

Trouble with torrents and rapidshare for that is people can comment on / report the contents they get.. and it's not so easy to do driveby forced all buttons clicked .exe as mp3 files just by sticking them somewhere with a tempting name... oh well.. guess I will have to look at the flash/java security holes instead.