1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best Place to buy on the NET? (DVD BURNERS)

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by bmeans, Apr 19, 2005.

1. bmeans

bmeans Member

I have a Dell Laptop and want to add a DVD burner (External). I have read the forum and narrowed it down to Plextor-716, Pioneer-108, or NEC 3520.

Anyone think any of these better for laptops? Also thinking of buying one in box that will use USB2.0 as well as 1394 Firmware. Any thoughts on this?

Found a site HTCnetstore - any thoughts on this vendor?

Last question is with boxes utilizing USB2.0 and 1394 Firmware they give you a choice of which chipset to order with. Either the Prolofic PL-3507 or a Combo Oxford 9ET 11a plus Cypress ATZ. Which works the best? If burning at slow speed is the 1394 availability worth the extra bucks?

Thanks for your response and suggestions. Dont want to make a mistake I am a newbie buying my first DVD burner.

Sorry for the long post but have alot of questions. Posted at DVD drives forum with no response, so sorry if not in the right place. I am just looking for some help. THANKS

Bmeans

2. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

3. jumpman23

jumpman23 Member

yup im with bbmayo, newegg is the way to go, great service great products and fast shipping.

4. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Those 3 are all excellent drives. My vote would go to the Plextor. Great drive. Also consider putting it into an external enclosure.

I have my Plex Premium in a Belkin enclosure (around $55 or so) has both USB 2.0 and Firewire. No problems burning with the Plex Premium.

Don't be sorry about posting in the wrong place. The mods can always move it to the appropriate forum ... in this case DVD±R drives was the correct forum.

What you shouldn't have done is multiposted. Multiposting is against the forum rules .... we don't like answering the same person multiple times. Take some time to read all of the forum rules.

Keep in mind ... we are all here on our free time. Eventually your thread would have been answered.

*moved from DVD-R newbies*

Last edited: Apr 19, 2005