1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best place to store DVDs for longetivity

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by epyon96, Dec 15, 2004.

1. epyon96

epyon96 Member

What is the best type of storage for DVDs if the concern is longetivity? Binders? Jewel-cases? or any other suggestions?

2. Aaron29

Aaron29 Guest

Best would be anything airtight and away from the sun and high heat/ humidity/ extreme cold for obvious reasons. Also i read that storing them vertically instead of lying flat is best

3. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

I've been backing up DVDs for two years now. I put them in those paper sleeves (the ones with the little plastic window), then vertically file them alphabetically in cardboard shoeboxes, then put the boxes in my psuedo-wine cellar (couple hundred bottles) - which is really just a utility room that is cut into the side of the canyon I live in. The temperature in this windowless, partially underground room is about 65 deg F year round (San Diego, CA. USA). Wine and DVDs go well together...

4. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

For me, it's the slim CD cases ($9.94 for 100 at Staples this week). They are protected better physically from bending and light/heat than paper sleeves (which rub and leaves lint all over the DVD). It also makes it easy to sort. Second best option is to leave it on the spindle (the cheapest way, but searching is a bitch). Even though it is horizontal (which is bad because it warps from gravity), the discs are perfectly flat with support at the bottom so there is zero chance of warping.

5. colw

colw Active member

Anywhere away from children and dirty fingers

6. Scandy

Scandy Member

I had always thought that storing them vertically was best. However, last week I purchased a spindle of Fuji DVD+R media. The label that was wrapped around the spindle said "Important information on the back of this label". Instead of just throwing it away, I actually read it. To my surprise, Fuji recommended to store the DVDs HORIZONTALLY with the recording surface facing down!

Does anyone know why Fuji gives this recommendation?

7. kchev

kchev Regular member

they were probably referring to storing them before burning and while they were still in the spindle

8. Grampaw

Grampaw Regular member

A lot of people don't seem to realize it is absolutely crucial that the recording surface of a blank DVD be spotless before burning. That's why it is best to store the blanks exactly as they came on their spindle, or in the cakebox, and only separate a DVD from the DVD stack when you physical put it in your DVD burner tray.

Once the DVD is burned, then cleanliness factor, within reason, is of less concern. More important is to keep any chemicals and exposure to UV light off the burned surface. Obvious way to do this is to always keep the burned DVD in some sort of container when not actually being used. Personally, I just use paper sleeves because they're cheap, easy to write on, and don't take up much space.