1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best PS2 DVD-R or+R Media

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Xtr3m3, Nov 19, 2002.

1. Xtr3m3

Xtr3m3 Member

Does anyone have suggestions on which DVD media is the cheapest and most compatible. I'm planning to purchase the Sony Dual DVD+RW/-RW Combo Drive.(burns DVD-R/-RW, DVD+RW/+R, and CD-R/CD-RW) Does anyone have info if + or - media works best on the PS2.

Thanks

2. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Xtr3m3 this is what i have:
    - HP DVD+r/rw 200i burner
    - PS2 with Messiah Modchip
    - Nero Burning Rom 5.5.9.17

I burn my DVD-based games (PS2) with Nero on the fly (1:1) and so far they all worked ...
    I burn them on DVD+r (Example Verbatim/Platinum/..). I just tried to burn a game on a DVD+rw and i worked ! so you can play a game and when you finished the game you can burn a new one on thesame DVD+rw.
    I heard with Messiah chip you can start also the -r (do not know about -rw).
    I think the -r media is the cheapest ...so...
    i dont know about the compatibility .. i think its - (minus) about 80% and + (plus) about 95%.

Hint about PS2: GET A MESSIAH MODCHIP...

3. Sproing

Sproing Guest

The Sony combo drive is a good deal.

I think that the older PS2's do not support dvd+r but support the dvd-r. Most of the newer PS2's can read both dvd-r and dvd+r. I've been testing on PS2's chipped with the Messiah and the Magic chip and various dvd-r brands. From the brands I've used:

-Pioneer works perfectly (expensive)
    -TDK works perfectly (still expensive but less than pioneer)
    -Verbatim works but has occasional loading errors
    -PrimeDisc by Ritek works sometimes but has loading problems during gameplay (cheap at less than $1 each)

About to try the Universal brand DVD-R which supposedly has good PS2 compatibility. Cheap compared to Pioneer and TDK at just under $2 each. These can be found at buy-dvd-r.com

Will try some DVD+R soon because i also just got the DRU-500 also. I think I'd still prefer to use DVD-Rs because they are cheaper!

4. Xtr3m3

Xtr3m3 Member

Thanks Wizkid.

Do you know about the different mod chips?

I heard the Messiah Chip works very well with the pal system but not the NTSC. I have two choices to put a chip in my PS2 either the Messiah 2 or Magic 3. Any thoughts which is easier or better.

I'm going to buy a PS2 this month so its probably newest version.

Thanks

5. Xtr3m3

Xtr3m3 Member

Thanks Sporing,

Hey do you know what particular mfr number from tdk or pinoneer. I want to look for a pak of 50 or so...i havent gotten a playstation 2 yet so if when i do buy one, its probably going to be the latest version board.

I've been looking online for dvd media that sells in paks of 10pk or 50pks. Know of any good places to buy online or stores like best buy or something.

thanks

6. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

I buy my DVD+r media on the Internet.
    Just bought some... www.opus.nl
    I live in Holland and do not know where you come from..
    They sell Platinum DVD+r at Euro 2.65 (incl BTW/VAT) a piece. They are the cheapest i think on the internet.
    I donot know the prices of DVD-r because i have a + burner.. so..
    Good Luck and,

The messiah rules ..

7. CTC

CTC Member

I use Princo and BulkPaq dvd-r's which are respectively 1,40 euro and <1 euro a piece. I burn them with my pioneer 105 of <300 euro and have no problems at all