1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best replacement fans for 360?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by newbie234, Dec 12, 2007.

1. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

hi,

i want to upgrade the fans as my 360s gettign really hot and i jsut want to avoid the RROD problem from overheating.

ive been reccomended talismoon fans but if a way id rather not have the blue LED's because i have a XCM black knight chamelon case, i dont want the bleu to show through the clear X on the top of my case.

how much cooler will talismoon fans make it? is it a real mission to get them installed? ive taken apart my xbox to flash it and replace my case obviously but want to know if this is a real risk.

is there a tutorial on removing the stock fans and installing the new ones?

thanks

2. steimy

steimy Active member

Talismoon would be what i would tell you to get. I am sure you could unhook the LED, and they come in several colors other than blue, like mine is Xbox Green (of course).

They should be a direct replacement of the stock fan and not at all hard to install. I am sure you can find an install guide out there and look at it.
    The talismoon fan moves rougly double the amount of air that the stock fan does and is also quiter.
    http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/mods/talismoon-led-swap.htm
    http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=8314
    http://www.se7ensins.com/forums/har...lighting-talismoon-fan-detailed-tutorial.html

3. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

hi,

ive seen talismoon does an air flow tihgn aswell?

does that make any difference to the ammount of heat AT ALl? or is it simply to make it look better as i dont really care what the insides of the xbox look like so long as the thing works hahah.

so if i can disconnect the LED's, do you tihkn the talismoons will make a big difference? are they alot more quite aswell?

thanks

4. steimy

steimy Active member

LED should not effect air flow or how quite it is. But you have twice as much air moving in your machine so you have to figure it is surely keeping it cooler then the stock fan.

some other things that help is elevating your console off of any other surfaces, and making sure it is in an open area. You can use small blocks under each corner, or a VCR tape directly under the center.
    Also if your house is kept cool it helps, if not then no fan will keep the machine cool as it is only circulating hot air around.
    Specifications
    (behind are the standard Xbox 360 fan specifications)

DC Power: 12V (at 5v)- Original Fan: 12V (at 5v)
    Current: 160mA - Original Fan: 250mA
    Speed: 4100RPM - Original Fan: 4600RPM
    Air flow: 46CFM - Original Fan: 29CFM
    Loudness: 38d(B)a - Original Fan: 41d(B)a

http://www.talismoon.com/cgi-bin/version2/engine.pl?page=product-xbox360-whisperfan-blue

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  5. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

hi,

ok i got hands on and just ripped apart my 360 (not literally) and im at the stage on i removed the drive and air tunnel thing. so ive got the motherbaord and the fans in place.

what crews do i undo to let me remove the motheboard?

how does the motherboard lift out as the metal is still covering the fans even though they are unclipped?

i mean there is still themetal tab hanging over the fans even though oive unclipped them, how does the motherboard lift out once i have removed the screws?

if i were to 'break' the LKED's would the fans still function...im not really fussed about having any light as i think it will ruin the cases X on the top?

i have also seen this add on fan made by XCM:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/XCM-XBOX-360-...2846QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting

however, this sasy for use WITH the XCM High speed air cooler...which to me looks like a XCm version of the blue whisper fans...would ib e ok to use the add on fan witht he talismoon fans?

also, the adapter for the add on fan attatches the dvd drive and the add on fan to the same pwoer source BUT i already have my case LED's attatched to an adapter...would i be ok to attatch 3 devices to the same 360 power supply using 2 adapters? im currently jsut using the case led's and the disc drive but if i get the add o fan it will be a fan, disc drive and led's on the same power source...is that ok? is it physically possible to use 2 of those adapters?

thanks

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  6. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

ayone?

i could really do with knowign if those 2 fans will work together and if i can use 2 power adapters for my case, the fan ADn the disc drive on the power supply on the motherboard?

thanks

7. StanLane

StanLane Guest

Newbie, just keep in mind you are voiding your warranty by installing the fans, per Microsoft. You could probably put the old fans back in there if you had to send back for repair. You seem to worry too much about the overheating, if it happens, not the end of the world.

8. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

ive already flashed it..and i have a enw case...so the warranties long gone mate.

im not bothered about the warranty, i just want to keep it from breaking, and if its only going to cost £10-£20 why not.

i need to know if i can use that add on fan, my case LED's and the disc drive off the same power suypply on the motherboard if i use like 2 adapters?

also how to get the fans out and in on the motherboard...will they just squeeze out or dio i need to bend that metal plate up to get them out?

thanks

9. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

can i use that add on fan, my case LED's and the disc drive off the same power supply on the motherboard if i use like 2 adapters?

thanks

10. StanLane

StanLane Guest

nah man, you can still send back even though you opened it up, many people online have.

11. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

ok, well iknow this warranty has been lsot as the original case has cracks in it where i tried to open it not realsisng soe clips were still attatched, and its majorly marked, i no longer have the stikcer keeping the two parts together.

eitehr way, id rather have a modded, fully working slightlly cooler 360 than a boiling hot stock 360 with a warranty. but thats jsut me.

does anyone know if i could use that add on fan, my dvd drive and the case LED's through the 1 power supply on the motherboard using 2 adapters?

thanks

12. PSeaGamer

PSeaGamer Regular member

if i could just post pics here id show you my awesome setup..

what i did was use the whisper fans.. since you need to complete the circuit what you can do is break off the blue leds and then just make a "c" clip out of the LED wire left behind.. insert the clip into where the LED was once connected and vaa--laa,(sp) there you go.. just do this to as many lights that you want inoperable and youre good..

Now, i then purchased a notebook cooler which is what my 360 sits on..

In addition, i purchased two PC cooling fans, connected them in series, and siliconed them to the gray grate on the end of my 360 (my 360 sits horizontal, a more natural position i feel to run dvd's.) To make things rock even more, I used an external plug-in transformer (like a cell phone wall charger with comparable output "V' etc....) to power these cooling fans..

Almost ready to bow yet, hold on.. I then took the factory fans that were replaced by the whisper unit and attached them to the back of my 360,(like the NYKO intercooler) and again attached those to their own external transfomer and my 360 ROCKSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.......... It runs cool ALLLLLL DDDDAAAYYYY LLLOOOONNNNGGG.....

+ i put in-line switches for all these fans so i can turn them on/off at my leisure...

let me tell ya,, SSWWEETT setup..........

out..........................

13. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

thats cool....but a bit drastic in my opinion. im jsut after getting the whisper fans replacing the stock and adding a xcm additional fan inside

does anyone know if i could use that add on fan, my dvd drive and the case LED's through the 1 power supply on the motherboard using 2 adapters?

14. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

15. newbie234

newbie234 Regular member

i jsut got mine in the post the right fan didnt even work!!!!!!!! i had to flick it to get it staritng and then it grinded and struggled all the tiem...took it sstraight back out amd going to try and get a replacemnt or a refund...not a good first experience!

the left dfan was very quiet though and ddi seem to feel cooler around the back on that side.

i did notice the block of metal strips witha tuvbe going through it next to the dvd drive gets hot pretty much instantly...is that normal?

thanks