1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best ripping and encoding apps?

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by flash74, Apr 11, 2005.

1. flash74

flash74 Member

Which applications are the best encoders and which are the best ripping apps. I don't care about free or buy, just want to get a general consensus on which programs give the best quality dvd backups, ripping, encoding, and compressing!

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

There has been ample discussion on this subject throughout these many threads. Do a search (near top of page) and much will be revealed.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  3. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

If you've got the time and don't care about the price, it would be pretty tough to beat this combo.

DVD Decrypter to rip (free)

DVD Rebuilder (free) w/ CCE SP ($1950.00) to compress/encode

CopyToDVD to burn ($40)

And if you were lying and really do care about "free or buy", and price really is a factor you can use CCE Basic ($58)

4. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

5. flash74

flash74 Member

well flip, um yeah !2000.00 is a bit high. LOL! Is there much difference between basic and sp

6. mgrace47

mgrace47 Member

You know, I bought several commercial rippers and copiers and all of them did well but eventually articfacts would show up and some frames would freeze.

Now I use Dycrypter--free and DVDShrink--free.

Two best programs I've ever seen for ripping and copying. Not a failure yet. Got the entire version of Cold Mountain on a single disk without a blip and it looks and sounds great.

Try the free stuff first before buying something.

7. squizzle

squizzle Active member

yeah, Decrypter and Shrink are a great combo. But, to get the best you've got to pay for the best. CCE/RB are the best (that I've found at least) and CCE Basic is well worth the $58.

As far as I know, the biggest difference between the $58 Basic CCE and the $2000 CCE SP is that Basic is locked in at 2 passes, and SP can be set up to 10 passes. There are other differences I'm sure, so if anyone knows what they are, feel free to pipe in.

8. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

well ya did say you didn't care :) lol

9. ngodina

ngodina Guest

rippers - DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink
    encoder/rebuilder - DVD santa demo version with no limitations
    & free
    Not even single failure.

10. hgilmore

hgilmore Member

I've just started using DVD Rebuilder 0.82.1 (Freeware), and CCE SP 2.50.

After a fews days I've figured out all the basics of what I need to know and backed up one of my DVD's. However I'd like to make use of the CCE and try using more than 2 CCE passes. I've backed up my DVD once using 2 passes, and then changed the CCE settings to 4 passes to check out what difference this made.

However, could anyone tell me how I can tell that 4 passes were actually made, (Although the first back up took 1 to 2 hours and the second back up took 4 to 5 hours!), but is there anything that show's this ion a log file etc?.

Thanks in advance for any help.

11. squizzle

squizzle Active member

I'm not positive, but I don't think you will be able to find out how many passes were really done. But the fact that it took twice as long leads me to believe that it did about twice as many passes.

By the way, most people can't tell the difference between 2 passes and 6 passes by watching the movie.