1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

best vcd conversion tool

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by shabba, Oct 22, 2002.

1. shabba

shabba Guest

I currently use TMPGenc to convert AVI's to VCD and use the templates provided within the program. However, the end product is poor quality is there any way to improve the quality? Or am i screwed? Like could i get some more templates?

2. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

tmpgenc I think is one of the best programs out there. I would download the latest version (it has a wizard to guide you thru settings)and try that. Make sure you go to 'other settings' and select 'Highest quality'. It takes longer but it is worth it.

3. HaroldW

HaroldW Guest

The two settings I have found to be the most usefull in increasing the quality of a VCD/SVCD in TMPGEnc are Rate Control Mode and Motion Search Precision.

For Rate Mode Control I use 2-Pass VBR I usually start at about 500 Min, 2200 Average and 3600 maximum. This gives me about 47 minutes on the CVD's I create.

Motion Search Precision use High Quality or Highest Quality. Many people say they can only see a minimal difference between the two.

Here are some TMPGEnc guides I found at vcdhelp (plenty of info there):

http://www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgenc.htm

http://www.vcdhelp.com/tmpgencxvcd.htm

If you are still not satisfied with the results I suggest you try XSVCD's (plenty of templates and other info at KVCD.net) CVD's or SVCD's. I have settled on CVD's which for the most part are SVCD's with a 352 X 480 resolution.

There are additional templates for TMPGEnc listed in the "Tools" section of www.vcdhelp.com.

4. wonderboy

wonderboy Guest

cinema craft encoder is nice......it converts my divx movies fast and easy ......but as far a free programs hands down its TMPGEnc.