1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best video capture card?

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by pgd, Jul 23, 2007.

1. pgd

pgd Member

I'm looking to buy a PCI card that has analog inputs, especially the RCA jacks, for capturing VHS and Camcorder tapes. I need the RCA jacks because of the age of the camcorder I'll be transferring from. I had very good luck in the past using an ATI All-in-Wonder video card. Unfortunately, the card (and my old computer it was in) died. I replaced it with a new computer that has a very good PCI express x16 video card that I don't want to get rid of. So I'm looking for a PCI card that will accept the above inputs. Can anyone recommend a brand/model? I've checked out the ATI PCI Tuner cards, but there are quite a few to choose form and a wide range of prices.
    I'm not interested in an external unit that uses USB or Firewire, only a PCI card.

Thanks for any help,

pgd

2. ads

ads Member

Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 Media Centre Kit PCI TV-Tuner/Capture Card

i have that one and it works really well for tv for recording and watching tv only problem is that you need media center or you have to download the drivers to make it work i dont have media center so i use beyond tv and it works well you just configure the source and off you go..

3. pgd

pgd Member

Thanks for the reply. Does it have RCA input jacks? Have you recorded from VHS or camcorder through them and, if so, how does it work?

Thanks again,

pgd

4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I have the same card and it works well. In addition to the RCA input jacks it also has an S-Video input if your vcr has an S-Video output.

The media center version of the card doesn't come with the capture software or drivers (at least mine didn't)but they are readily available on Hauppauge's website for free.

Ive done about 225 video tapes through mine.

FYI, the video tuner which is included is an analog tuner. Here in the 'States analog TV goes bye-bye February 2009 I think.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2007
  5. pgd

pgd Member

Thanks for the reply. How is the video capture quality?

6. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Depends on your source, of course. I'm capturing at DVD quality, 720 x 480 and a video bit rate of 6400 to 8000 Kbit/sec. It's adjustable. Others I know say they have a higher rate available to them. My card is 3 years old.

7. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i have the hauppauge pvr 500 mce kit..
    i have been having trouble getting good quailty from card. this is mainly using the composite cable input with my old vhs tapes or small 8mm cam corder tapes. i do like the card for my tv stuff. i do know my source tapes are not so great but the quailty still seem to get worse.. i have stopped working on it for now...just ask if you need more!!

ps whats new hobbit?

8. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

FYI, the video tuner which is included is an analog tuner. Here in the 'States analog TV goes bye-bye February 2009 I think.? - My understanding is that It only Applies to Over the Air/Std . BroadcastTV - IN other words Your Cable company can still Broadcast in Analog Till whenever it wants so as long as you have cable & they do ? You can still Use Your Analog set ! IF you are only getting broadcast TV then you'll either need to upgrade to a newer set or Get a Set top adapter Tuner ! The Set top box would probably be cheaper But A newer set would probably! be a better long term investment !!!!!!!!!

9. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Right on BIGTOXY69!

I wasn't aware that the cable companies could still broadcast in analog, but it makes sense now that I think about it.

Hey b2r, what's happpenin'? Same-o, same-o here.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2007
  10. pgd

pgd Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I've read several reviews complaining about sound input with the "Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150 Media Centre Kit PCI TV-Tuner/Capture Card". According to these complaints the card automatically adjusts the input volume so if there's a quiet spot on the source it will crank up the volume until there's a very loud hissing sound. They also state there's no way to control this feature. Have you run into this problem?

pg

11. born2ride

born2ride Regular member

i have never noticed any audio concerns with what i have done. only video.

12. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

There is a program/Utility called (if I remember correctly) Hauppauge Tweak Tool. It has the capability to adjust/turn off the automatic gain if I remember correctly. The tool is available here. The rest of the website also has some good information on the Hauppauge cards and suggestions on adjustments.